i. 𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘢'𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯

CATALINA'S DECISION

( chapter one. )

Aurora Black had grown, as those closest to her would tell you. She very much wasn't the same little girl who's father had escaped Azkaban the year previous. Her long brown hair was falling just past her ribs and she had cut her own fringe, which looked amazing if she did say so herself.

She'd matured a lot too. Her face had a distinctive aristocratical look about it, with defined cheekbones and jawline. Her eyes were slightly more sunken but brighter than ever in their stormy grey glow. Her skin had been freckled across her nose from the sun and her cheeks kissed with a pale pink blush.

The Reyes' household was eerily but not unusually quietly. Not a floorboard creaked, more did a house elf stir inside. Catalina Reyes was sat in her study, pouring over various notes and papers.

Aurora Black was upstairs, sat on her bay window, looking out over the sunny grounds. More often than not, a group of children would run past the manor gates, throwing stones at the downstairs windows, in awe at the way the windows never shattered.

The click of heels clacking against the ancient wooden floors alerted Aurora of Catalina's approaching presence. The door flew open.

"Here." Catalina flung a parchment envelope toward Aurora. "This just arrived for you."

As soon as Catalina closed the door, Aurora hopped of the window sill and tore open the letter. Catalina had let her have her owl all summer, which meant she could actually owl her friends, and she could receive their letters. She was surprised Catalina hadn't just tossed it the letter into the fire upon noting it was addressed to Aurora, though.

Inside was a messy scrawl of handwriting across a small sheet of parchment.

         'Rory,

         Guess what, dad managed to get them tickets to the World Cup, so mum told us we had to invite a friend. Ron's told Harry to come, and Hermione's coming too. I'm not sure if Ron's owled you yet, but if he hasn't, wanna come to the cup with us?

         Dad said to send your response by return owl as quick as possible, and if you're coming, we'll come get you. Mum says it would be okay for you, Harry, and Hermione to stay for the remainder of the summer holidays, and then take you to Kings Cross for the new term.

         Freddie.'

Aurora stared at the piece of paper before rushing out of her room, not bothering to silence the slam the followed.