xi. 𝘢 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘴𝘬

A DIFFICULT TASK

— ( chapter eleven

( chapter eleven. )

"Aurora," Alexander tapped her arm, pointing at Cameron and Violette, sat huddled together out in the grounds, hands cradling each other. "They haven't been that close in months."

"They've been a lot closer recently." noted Elladora, leaning on the windowsill beside Aurora.

Xavier looked out the window at the pair, Theresa beside him hadn't even cast a glance. The absence of Adam had left her quieter than usual.

"It's strange, isn't it?" Cameron had mentioned when he and Violette had returned, sat on the couch, his arm over her shoulders. "Adam being gone so long, I mean."

"I thought that." Alexander said quietly. "It's been days now."

"He's visiting family, something no one else here seems to do." snapped Theresa, leaving the room in a flash brown hair.

Xavier followed after her, a tired look settled in his once handsome face. He reminded Aurora of Sirius more now than ever.

"Somethings off with them." said Violette quietly, lifting her head from Cameron's shoulder.

"Tessa never snaps like that." agreed Elladora, nodding.

Aurora locked eyes with Alexander. She was stretched out on the couch opposite Cameron and Violette, her head resting on Alexander's lap lazily.

"What you thinking about, darling?"

"Just Xavier. He reminds me of my dad." said Aurora quietly.

"What do you mean?" said Cameron, drawing circles on Violette's shoulder.

"When my dad was stuck in the house all of the time, he look really tired, and snapped at everyone." explained Aurora. "That's what Xavier looks like... he hardly ever leaves the house."

It wasn't wrong. Theresa came and went from the house, Adam too, but Xavier? Xavier hardly ever left anymore. Barely once a fortnight he ventured from the Hamilton Boarding House.

"You're not wrong." said Cameron, rubbing his chin. "I thought it was just because of the cold."

"I thought that too, but last February he insisted we all go out to that little muggle market in Canterbury, nearly every day." added Violette.

It didn't make sense. Adam hardly ever stayed away from the Boarding House for more than a few hours, maybe a whole night if it was a special occasion. Xavier wasn't this quiet, even when Cameron was in his worst moods, Xavier would still make jokes. Theresa never snapped at anyone for no good reason, it just wasn't like her.