i. the aftermath

THE AFTERMATH

— ( 12th August 1998

( 12th August 1998. )

(WARNINGS: mentions of past self harm and scars)

AURORA BLACK WASN'T ALL THERE. She finally understood the meaning behind that in recent days after the war. She wasn't entirely all there, there were some moments where her mind could slip away from her entirely and she had continued moments of just blank, empty thoughts.

Sirius had tried his best to keep the mood in the cottage from delving into something rather somber despite his own griefs gnawing at him.

He had been the only one who had managed to coax Aurora from her room in which she had confined herself. Not even Harry could beg her to leave.

Now, over three months after the war, and people were still struggling. Aurora was no longer confining herself, but even Sirius could see that no, Aurora Black wasn't all there from time to time.

On one occasion in particular, Sirius had watched from the kitchen for well over ten minutes as Aurora stared at simply nothing, one knee pulled up to her chest and the other curled in front of her.

When they had started to recover, when things started looking up. Sirius knew he couldn't put off talking to Aurora for any longer.

The young woman often busied herself around the kitchen, making some of the most marvellous dishes Sirius had ever tried. She was also reached the five month mark in her pregnancy and was now displaying a very clear bump. She reminded Sirius and Remus of Reina Reyes when she was pregnant.

"Aurora, I was wondering if we could talk?"

The older man had snapped Aurora out of a day dream whilst she was cleaning the dishes, staring out of the kitchen window blankly.

She hummed, looking at him expectantly.

"What's up?"

"You've been struggling." said Sirius quietly, handing her a tea towel so she could dry her hands. "And I think you could do with getting some things off your chest."

"I'm fine." smiled Aurora, leaning against the counter behind her. "You don't need to worry about me."

"Talk to me, Aurora."

"There's nothing to talk about."

"What about this then?"