xxiii. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘰

THE RETURN OF THE HERO

— ( chapter twenty-three

( chapter twenty-three. )

Voldemort had crumpled no sooner than Harry had. Bellatrix had cast Aurora aside weightlessly, rushing towards her beloved Lord with a calling voice.

Aurora walked the short distance across the grass to where Harry lay, dropping to her knees beside him. Aurora brushed his hair back gently, her hands shaking with sobs.

"I'm sorry, Harry." she whispered, cupping her hand on his cheek. "I'm sorry."

It took a few seconds for Voldemort to start rousing again, but Aurora did not glance back, she did not care. He could kill her if he wished for all she cared, she would be with Harry then, with Fred, with whoever else had fallen for the battle.

"My Lord... my Lord..."

It was Bellatrix's voice, and she spoke as if to a lover. Aurora did not look back, she was fully focused on Harry. He wasn't cold, he was still softly warm, his face was slightly dirty from the earthy ground.

"My Lord..."

"That will do," said Voldemort's voice.

Finally Aurora turned, staring at Voldemort through her tearful stormy grey eyes.

Voldemort was getting to his feet. Various Death Eaters were hurrying away from him, returning to the crowd lining the clearing. Bellatrix alone remained behind, kneeling beside Voldemort.

"My Lord, let me — "

"I do not require assistance," said Voldemort coldly, Aurora saw Bellatrix withdrawing a helpful hand. "The boy... Is he dead?"

There was a complete silence in the clearing. Nobody approached Harry, but he felt their concentrated gaze; it seemed to press him harder into the ground, and he was terrified a finger or an eyelid might twitch.

"You," said Voldemort, and there was a bang and a small shriek of pain. "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

Aurora held on tighter to Harry's hand, refusing to move from the body. They wouldn't touch him, she wouldn't let them, they couldn't insult themselves even further with confirming it.

"Aurora, let go of him, darling." said Narcissa Malfoy, taking Aurora by the shoulders carefully.

Aurora allowed herself to be pulled away slightly, still gripping onto Harry's hand, but leaving enough room for Narcissa to examine Harry.

Narcissa was the only person she would let near Harry.

She touched Harry's face, then her hand travelled to the front of his shirt to feel his heart. Aurora saw her lower her head presumably listening for breath. There was a pause.