ix. 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘧𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘰𝘳 𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘨𝘦

PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE

( chapter nine. )

Lavender dressed at top speed next morning and left the dormitory before Aurora had even put on her socks.

"Does she think she'll turn into a nutter if she stays in a room with us too long?" asked Aurora loudly as the hem of Lavender's robes wnipped out of sight.

"Don't worry about it, Aurora," Parvati muttered, hoisting her schoolbag on to her shoulder, "she's just..."

But apparently she was unable to say exactly what Lavender was, and after a slightly awkward pause followed her out of the room.

Eloise and Hermione both gave Aurora an it's-her-problem-not-yours look, but Aurora was not much consoled. How much more of this would they have to take?

"What's the matter?" asked Hermione five minutes later, catching up with Harry and Ron halfway across the common room as they all headed towards breakfast. Harry looked as awful as Aurora felt. "You look absolutely — Oh for heavens sake."

She was staring at the common-room noticeboard, where a large new sign had been put up.

'GALLONS OF GALLEONS!

Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings? Like to earn a little extra gold?

Contact Fred and George Weasley, Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs.

(We regret that all work is undertaken at applicant's own risk.)'

"They are the limit," said Hermione grimly, taking down the sign, which Fred and George had pinned up over a poster giving the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend, which was to be in October. "We'll have to talk to them, Ron."

Ron looked positively alarmed.

"Why?"

"Because we're prefects!" said Hermione, as they climbed out through the portrait hole. "It's up to us to stop this kind of thing!"

Ron said nothing; Aurora could tell from his glum expression that the prospect of stopping Fred and George doing exactly what they liked was not one he found inviting.

"Anyway, what's up, Harry?" Hermione continued, as they walked down a flight of stairs lined with portraits of old witches and wizards, all of whom ignored them, being engrossed in their own conversation. "You look really angry about something."

"Seamus reckons Harry's lying about You-Know-Who," said Ron succinctly, when Harry did not respond.

Hermione, who Harry had expected to react angrily on his behalf, sighed.

"Yes, Lavender thinks so too," she said gloomily.

"Been having a nice little chat with her about whether or not I'm a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?" Harry said loudly.