i. 𝘢 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘴

A BALL OF SORTS

— ( chapter one

( chapter one. )

         "Aurora!" yelled Catalina from the base of the stairs, her voice echoing sternly over the classical music drifting in from the large ballroom at the back of the manor.

         "Hurry up, and get down here!" she yelled, wringing her hands. "There's someone I wish for you to meet."

         Aurora looked anything but herself. The dress was a beautiful viridian colour made of flowing silk that flowed behind her on the dark wooden stairs. She wore shimmering gold lace-up heels that criss-crossed up her calves.

         She despised the dress. Not because it was ugly or unflattering, if anything Aurora would admit it did make her look amazing, but it was just not Aurora's style. "Well, I'm here now."

         "Don't take that tone with me, girl. I'm warning you now-"

         "I promise I'll be on my best behaviour." sighed Aurora, playing with the shimmering gold bangle on her wrist. Catalina took her Aurora by the shoulders tightly and led her into the ball. It was loud, and respectable, and sensible, and everything Aurora hated.

         The different pureblood families stood together, talking between one and other, some holding onto their children like trophies to be displayed and vaunted, while others' children had scurried off in groups and congregated around the edges of the room away from their parents.

         "You know Celestine Nott?" said Catalina, staring at her with an odd face that suggested she ought to lie. "Her son, Theodore, is in your year at Hogwarts."

         "Of course." said Aurora quietly, smiling stiffly at Mrs Nott. "It's lovely to meet you."

         Celestine Nott was a dark haired woman with a stern, wrinkled face, and dark deep-set eyes. She wore a velvet gown that stopped just below her black polished brogues.

         She eyed Aurora disdainfully, holding her son's shoulder with a black-taloned hand.

         Her son was a black haired boy with shining blue eyes. He wore dress pants and a black button up shirt that was tucked loosely into the waistband with the top few buttons undone. Silver cufflinks shone on his sleeves, engraved with his family crest.

         Mrs. Nott smiled an obviously force smile and turned to her son.

         "Yes, I do believe Theodore has mentioned you. Are you a friend of Pansy's?" Mrs. Nott asked. That was her subtle way of asking if Aurora was a Slytherin.