Chapter 4: Future

Within my wolf form, I made direct eye contact with Opal, her face held many emotions, I was not surprised. Her crimson eyes pierced mine, I felt like her reaction would determine my fate. Where was this outstanding pressure coming from?

"We are exposing our true selves to our soulmate, if they accept us then we are blessed, however, if they choose to reject us or not accept what we are... we will be shattered." Said Ximena. My eyes widened with fear. What does she mean by shattered? Is rejecting your soulmate possible?

I was brought out of my panicked thoughts when I felt something start to hold my chin. I saw that Opal was continuing to examine me, she moved my face from side to side to see all its features. She leaned forward to allow herself to be able to feel my neck back, lightly scratching it in the process. I took a step forward and curled my neck with hers.

I was quite tall in this form thanks to my legs so I had no problem putting my head on her shoulder. She continued to pet me, making me release whines of appreciation, her scent was delicious, she smelt sweet yet strong, like as if it was a spice, what is this smell?

when she separated herself from me I was slightly saddened, however,  she took one of my legs into her hand, lifting it slightly while I stood there confused. Her face looked utterly fascinated by every feature. She even took my paw into her hands and seemed shocked at the sight of them.

"I thought they were hoofs..." She said out loud causing me to tilt my head in confusion. Her focus returned to my eyes, and she looked mesmerizing. She was smiling.
"You're incredible. How I didn't know about your kind's existence is beyond me, your form is just majestic." She said.

Those words felt like they had squeezed my heart, making it burst with happiness, within a matter of seconds I had shifted back into my human form and was now kneeling in front of her, her hands were now intertwined with mine and I kissed them, as she had previously done so to mine, and nuzzled my cheek against the back of her hands.

"Thank you," I said as I closed my eyes. I stayed like this for quite some time until I let go of her hands and stood up. The moment I did she turned her head to the side, her cheeks were almost as crimson as her eyes. I did not like it when she did that, does that mean she does not like me in this form?

Standing in between her legs I took her cheeks into my hands and turned her head to look up at me. Her chin was rested on the top of my chest and she had no choice but to stare with widened eyes. I could not tell what she was thinking, but she seemed to be in distress.

"Honey I think you're pushing boundaries a bit too much, she is still an alpha." Said Ximena. My focus remained on Opal as we stared into each other's eyes.
"Do you dislike this form?" I asked, tilting my head.

Her expression changed from a look of shock to surprise and finally to confusion. She shook her head and again her expression shifted, only this time she had a look of seriousness and confidence dawn onto her face.

"How in the name of the moon goddess could I possie dislike you? I was just in shock since you shifted between your forms so quickly. I had no time to process the beauty in front of me before you came back to your gorgeous human form." She said with a dreamy tone in her voice. I could feel my cheeks begin to heat up at her words.

I smiled and let her go, taking a few steps back.
"If you do not mind me asking, why exactly did you and your brother come here of all places to expand your territory?" I asked. "there is nothing here of value and the only inhabitors of this forest are me, a small population of animals, bears and an overpopulation of birds." I said.

Opal looked surprised at my words before raising a brow. She crossed her arms.
"How long exactly have you lived here Udeline?" She asked.
"Since I was very young, practically all my life," I said.