Chapter 9: Progress

There was silence. Complete utter silence after everyone had asked that one-worded question. I was only able to see Opals' father's expression, he had a look of confusion and shock at the sudden rise of questioning voices. I too was shocked, but my bewildered state only increased when he let out a chuckle, a bright smile appearing on his face.

"What on earth is going on right now?" Asked Ximena. I could not answer her since I too had no clue what was happening. Did I just get approved by the man I kicked to the ground?

"Honey, what on earth are you saying? Why would you approve so quickly? You don't know anything about that girl!" Said Opal's mother in an irritated and worried tone of voice.

Again, the enormous man chuckled.
"I thought it was obvious," the man stepped to the side but kept one of his hands on my shoulder. "Can you not sense it my love? This girl here has the smell of a traveller, a being of pure wisdom and knowledge. And her wolf is no simple creature either." He said, letting out a boisterous laugh.

"As expected, he has sharp instincts. I did not expect him to sense so much in such a short period of time." Said Ximena.
"Dad, are you serious right now?" Asked Opal, "you, actually approve...?"

I looked towards opal and then to her mother who was now next to her. Her mother had an unreadable expression, she looked between her husband, me and Opal many times before releasing an almost defeated sigh.

Her stare hardened and she began to walk towards me, it felt as though she was a bear getting ready to attack me, yet something completely different. Soon, she too was in front of me as her husband had been not too long ago, looking down at me.

"I don't trust you, stranger from an unknown land. You may be my daughter's "soulmate", but that doesn't mean you're not anything in my eyes. I'll only ask this once, so answer truthfully, or else;" she said, leaning forward so that her face was parallel to my own, her purple eyes glowing with power.

"What are your intentions with my daughter, and what do you think you'll gain by becoming a luna?" She finally.

"Mum!" Said Opal, worry in her voice.
"Don't interfere, Opal, your mum's just trying to keep you safe." Answered Opal's father.

I furrowed my eyebrows at this woman's words. My intension? Gain? What is this nonsense?

"You seem to have greatly misunderstood me, ma'am. I have nothing to lose by being here, nor do I have any reason to gain or take anything from within these walls. I am here because I have found my soulmate and I wish to learn more about her and her homeland, the fact that you would assume the worst is appalling, but I can understand your concerns given that I am but a stranger from a distant land." I said.

I took a step back and slightly bowed my head.
"Though Opal has already said this, my name is Udeline. I have no last name or any pack to call my own. I hope you can accept this savage girl as your own."

Silence.

Once again, there was silence.

I kept my head low, I felt as though my heart would explode from panic. Did I say too much? Did I anger her? That is the last thing I wish to do to my possibly future mother!

"So the new wolf has a decent growl? Do you know the most suspicious part about you, 'savage girl'?" Asked Opal's mother, her voice suggests that this is a rhetorical question.

"You say you're from the wilderness but you speak like you were raised in a traditional noble house, the fact you speak so poshly is strange. Can you explain that?" She asked.

I raised my head to look into her eyes once more as if trying to tell her through my eyes that I was not lying with my words.

"My wolf raised me and taught me how to speak, I apologize if my way of speaking sounds outdated, but this is simply how I talk," I answered.

The woman's eyes continued to look deeply into mine as if searching for something with great determination. It felt as though she was doing this for an uncomfortable amount of time before something happened. In a blink, a smile found its way onto her face, she stood up straight and released a satisfactory sigh.

She placed her hands onto her hips and turned her head to look at Opal, the smile still on her face.
"It seems I was worried for nothing. I have to say, I'm very surprised by this. i wasn't expecting someone like this to be your soulmate sweetie, but at the same time I can't argue." She said as she returned to looking at me in the eye, now holding a calm and friendly gaze within her eyes.

"You are very special, I hope you can take care of my baby girl." She said.
"You need to promise that you will Udeline, do not answer casually to this!" Quickly said Ximena.

"I promise with my life that I will do what I can to make your daughter happy," I said, smiling at the woman in front of me. Both parents looked at me with surprised expressions. I did not go too far with my words, did I? I hope they accept my words.

Before anyone could say a word Opal stomped her way towards us and got in between me and her mother. She lightly pushed me out of her parents reach and took me into her arms. With an irritated sigh, she looked at her parents in annoyance.

"Seriously, what is wrong with you two?! Are you trying to get her to run away or something?!" She scolded. Her mother released a giggle at Opal's words.

"Of course not sweetie, you know we're just trying to protect you." Said the mother dismissively.
"'Protect me' my ass! Don't go intimidating my soulmate!" Said Opal, sounding as though she was getting ready to growl at her parents.

I could not help but drown out the noise as Opal held me within her arms. My face happened to be pressed against her bosoms, making it slightly hard to breathe, but I did not mind. Her chest was soft, and I could take comfort in the sound of her heartbeat as she held me as if I was her greatest treasure. I wrapped my hands around her as I had done before, and inhaled her scent, it was as if her aroma could calm me of any struggles within my mind.

Opal had tensed at my touch, which had confused me. Her actions brought me out of my daze as I finally re-established the situation I was in.
"This is when I wish the mate bond was not as strong as it is. It seems we have caused another scene within the bigger scene Udeline." Said Ximena.

I did not need to ask to understand what she had meant by those words. I could already feel many eyes on me as I snuggled myself into Opal. I could hear a pair of giggles which I could only assume were Opals' parents.

"Sh-shut up! This doesn't change what I think! We'll continue this later." She said as she slightly tightened her hold on me, returning my hug as she snuggled into the tip of my hair.

"It seems your little soulmate over there completely forgot what was going on, how adorable!" Said Opal's mother.

"Honestly, this is quite a sight. I never thought I would be able to see my baby girl finally find her soulmate. It's so beautiful to see." Said Opal's father as he sounded close to tears, sniffing slightly.

Given that I could tell this was embarrassing to Opal, I separated myself from her and looked her in the eyes.
"My apologies, I did not mean to suddenly embrace you. I could not help myself because of the mate bond, I hope I did not cause you any discomfort." I said with a closed-eyed smile.

Opal looked surprised but released a light chuckle from her lips.
"Why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong, if anything, you made my day." She said as she brought a hand up to lightly pet me on the head.

I smiled in return, leaning into her touch sightly as her hand moved down to rest on my cheek. I closed my eyes and simply took in the beautiful feeling of warmth that overtook me as she held my cheek in her hand. The mate bond was truly spectacular.

"This warmth...I do not think I can live without it. Udeline, we must strive to remain by her side." Said Ximena. I could not help but agree.

The sound of hands clapping twice could be heard, causing both me and Opal to look at the source. Opal's father had clapped his hands.
"Well, now that that's out of the way, how about we head on home, I have many questions for you, Udeline."