Chapter 30: The First Of Many

Two weeks have passed since we bought new clothes and much has happened.

As expected there was much for me to learn, I had to get acquainted with the necessities of this pack, and I also had to learn how to write. There was a struggle when using the quill for the first time, and learning how to spell words was also quite tricky.

Ximena had never had to write anything down in her lifetime so she was unable to help me with this obstacle. I was also told to read various history books by Valentina.

It was rather enjoyable, did you know the founders of the land had to fight with magical creatures daily JUST so they could sleep?

It was not until they had a run-in with a coven of witches seeking the magical beasts that the first alliance was made. I suppose the common enemy helped make negotiations go smoothly.

I had also received quite a bit of help from various maids and butlers throughout the house, the number of times I had to ask them for directions within this fortress was too many to count.

I was able to familiarise myself with their names as well, considering I would be seeing them every day it was only natural I would learn their names.

Every single "servant" in here can voice their concerns, I've seen several occasions in which a maid or a butler would walk to Opal's, Griffins', or even Valentinas' office to talk to them about issues within the house and much more.

Many were intimidated by me at first, being a rogue and immediately being taken to the pack house and having breakfast with the highest-ranking wolves is not the friendliest first impression.

It took quite a few days before some of the wolves here warmed up to me, and now I can hold comfortable conversations with the majority of them.

The one I see the most is a lovely woman called Freya, she is a tall maid with rather short brown locks on her head, she is the head maid and quite a good one.

I feel as though she has a sixth sense for finding messes, she can instantly tell wherever she walks when something has to be cleaned or dusted, I honestly thought it was magic but it was just something she had learned to see after having worked as a maid for over a century. Freya has quite the story to herself too.

She was abandoned by her pack because she could not bare a child, she was found outside the borders of the pack after she had gone for days if not weeks without having had a lot of food or water. The reason why she chose to be a maid was that she had been told at a young age that she should serve others.

There was a deep psychological root within her that made her want to serve, but she, her whole life, had not expected to have a positive life and job as a servant.

She loves it here, she can help as she wishes and be of use to anyone who is struggling with their chores. She did not hesitate to tell me that she feels more at home in this position than if she had taken another working path.

Many of the servants here have a similar story.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I felt a certain needy alpha nudge my cheek with her multiple times while whining softly. Chuckling I closed the book I was reading in turned my head to kiss her on the cheek.

"Whatever is the matter, Opal?" I asked. Right now we were in the library, lying down on one of the sofas within it. Opal sat down along it, resting her back on one of the arms while I sat between her legs and read some books Griffin recommended.

He had quite an odd taste in books. This book was set in a world of just humans, in which the world is full of technology yet to be invented and the protagonist has to deal with several people liking them. The actions within the book were childish and simply idiotic, does this happen?