Chapter 34: Last Preparations (part 2)

I honestly expected to spend the day wandering around the pack, having fun with my soulmate and my two friends.

The 'wondering around' part I got correct, having fun? sadly it was not. Marielle and Ophelia had planned before to warn me about a certain vampire heiress that everyone knows and hates.

"I know you probably don't need to hear this since she radiates manipulation, but don't let her words get to you, she tries all kinds of little tricks and trick questions to get into your head. You need to look out for that." Said, Ophelia.

She was being especially aggressive in her warnings this time, she wished for me to take this seriously. We were just walking in the streets, with no real destination in mind. I do not mind the walk but I wonder if we will end up outside pack territory if we continue this talk. Either way, I was grateful they were taking the time out of their day to tell me this information, it seems critical for my survival.

I nodded my head, holding a serious expression as I listened.

"I see, do not concern yourself, Ophelia, I will be able to protect myself. Are there not more people whom I should be wary of?" I asked.

Ophelia pondered on my question, truly putting thought into the answer.

"Regina's parents, it's best you look out for them too." Said Marielle.

I turned to look at her with a confused gaze.

"Her parents?" I asked. Marielle nodded her head.

"The queen is an enigma, you can never know what she's thinking. She is probably the last person you want to come into contact with, her capabilities are a mystery to even the elders here. The king will take whatever they think is unacceptable about you and insult you with it. He comes up with bullshit reasons why you shouldn't be happy with yourself or what you are, and the worst part is that he's fucking good at it." She said, anger laced in her voice.

I could tell that she was speaking from the heart when she told me this, both Ophelia and Opal held sadness and sympathy within their eyes as they looked at Marielle, they even held empathy withing their eyes the more I observed.

Ophelia, with gentle movements, took Marielle's hand within her own and leaned in to kiss her on the lips. The kiss lingered as both of them found comfort in the action but they quickly separated.

Marielle no longer had a look of sadness and was smiling as she stared into Ophelia's eyes. They brought each other into a warm hug, smiling much more than before. I could not help but smile myself, Ophelia seemed to truly know what to do to comfort Marielle.

I could feel a hand wrap around my waist and pull me in so that I was against a body, I did not have to turn around since I knew it was Opal.

I leaned into her shoulder and placed my hand atop the one wrapped around my body, smiling at the intimate action Opal had done. Soon Marielle and Ophelia separated for good this time and were simply smiling.

I felt as though I wished to ask more on the subject of Regina's parents but decided against it, this was a harsh subject to discuss, especially for these three. Their reactions to the mere mention of what it is they do to manipulate people already told me that I should not trust or even acknowledge them.

It seemed that the manipulation and despicable natures ran in the family. How in the name of the goddess could the vampires stand being ruled by such awful beings? Do they take pride in their treachery?

"Marielle was part of the vampire royal court. This was way before she met me or Ophelia." Said Opal. That small sentence already filled my head with worrisome thoughts.

I looked at Marielle with a wide gaze. Did she use to work for them? She let out a sigh and scratched the back of her head.

"It wasn't the best part of my life. The only time I ever felt something was when I was praised by the king and Queen for my political work in keeping the kingdom stable, but because those bastards knew exactly what to say to keep me in line, I wasn't able to escape them. It felt like I had no other purpose in life but to serve them, I couldn't stand up for myself or feel any sort of self-worth because of them." She at first had an angered expression on her face but quickly smiled as she looked at Ophelia.

"When they found my replacement and transferred me here after basically firing me, I didn't know it would have been the best thing to ever happen to me. I made an amazing friend and found the best soulmate I could have ever asked for." She said happily as she kissed Ophelia on the cheeks a couple of times, causing her soulmate to release a small chain of giggles.

Once finished Marielle stood up straight and proceeded to step in front of me and place her hands on my shoulders. She looked me dead in the eyes, her gaze serious and full of purpose.

"You need to be careful Udeline. There's no telling what they'll do or say when they find out their daughter's favorite is officially mated, or if they find out you're a rogue. You need to be mentally prepared for the worst." She said. I nodded my head.

"Thank you, Marielle. I'll prepare for it, but before we continue I must ask more questions about them. May I know more?" I asked, wording my sentence carefully as I knew this was a rather serious topic for everyone.

Marielle smiled and proceeded to pat me on the head, comforting me and my worries.

"Ask away little lady, you don't need to worry about us, we're all done with that crap, it might still hurt to think about but it's just a passing thought at this point." She reassured me, allowing me to release a sigh of relief as I did not want to open up old wounds with the subject.

When she removed her hand from my head I smiled and turned to look at the three people around me, smiling as I admired how truly strong they all were.

I opened my mouth and began to ask my questions, hoping that I would have the information I needed to survive the inevitable encounter with the vampires these people I hold dear despise.

*

*

*

The day went far too quickly for my liking, as much as I appreciated what had happened as well as the fun I experienced with my friends and soulmate I did not want the day to end.

Tomorrow was the day I make my appearance and get announced as Opal's soulmate, and the day I become the center of attention to all those who either respected or dislike Opal and her family.

As much as the thought of the announcement filled me with proudness and pride I knew there were dangers to the announcement. Knowing what I know now, people will see me as a weakness to Opal and her family as I am relatively new to this life.

What people like that don't know is that I am not a wild wolf that can easily be swayed. The inevitable underestimation I will receive fills me with the hope of survival. If the enemy does not think of me as a threat then they will be sloppy in their attacks toward me, especially when the attack consists of insults.

I gasped in surprise as I was brought out of my thoughts by the feeling of something wet sliding against my neck. Snapping my eyes in all directions to see what the cause was but I froze as I remembered something.

Not long after we returned to the pack house I and Opal proceeded to get changed into more comfortable clothes before cuddling on the bed. Opal ended up laying on top of me as well and nuzzled herself into my neck as she always does.

I heard Opal let out a small chuckle as she began to kiss my neck gently and began to make a trail of kisses up my neck to my mouth. She placed her lovely lips on my own and we moved our lips against one another in the slow rhythm we always did.

It was a gentle kiss, and I loved the feeling of having Opal take her time with me so carefully, it was like she wanted to know every little thing about me. However, I did not understand why she had decided to luck my neck.

When we separated she proceeded to chuckle again as she looked at my confused expression. She gently dragged the back of her hand down the side of my face before caressing my cheek.

"You drifted off and you weren't responding when I said your name." She said. I then stared at her with a deadpan expression.

"Did you have to lick me though?" I asked, causing Opal to burst out laughing.