Chapter X

Have fun reading ;)

Chapter X

Ecco, his very taciturn and quite dismissive proxy, brought her home in the afternoon. Lynn had left Jeremiah's current place of residence without ever being able to tell where it was located. Ecco had made sure of that with a blindfold. Blindfolded she had exited his place and blindfolded she had stayed during the entire drive home.

It had only come off the moment the car had stopped in front of her parent's house.

"Should my boss feel inclined to see you again, I'll call you. I expect you to be ready at the appointed time."

Ecco didn't even look at her face as she said these words in her monotonous voice.

"O-Okay...", Lynn stuttered, feeling quite intimidated by the robotic woman. She unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door as fast as she could without leaving the impression of wanting to flee from the other woman's presence, and thus appearing to be rude.

Lynn got out of the car and watched on dumbfoundedly as the woman drove off without a word of goodbye.

From what she had understood Ecco wasn't living with Jeremiah, but spent most of her time in his presence to make sure he was safe and sound. She also dealt with his superiors at work and did most of his shopping for him.

Still, Ecco didn't exactly seem like someone whose company you could enjoy.

Where on earth had he found such a cold, unfeeling individual?

Lynn shuddered. No wonder he had been happy to see her. Hopefully, he would send for her again. She would have hated for him to become as unsociable as Ecco was. He needed someone warm and jovial. Someone who could make him smile, who could make him forget for a few hours that his life would be at stake as long as Jerome was alive.

Lynn tore her gaze away from the silver car that was speeding off into the distance and walked towards the front door, pulling her keys out of her bag. Ecco had not only knocked her unconscious that evening, no, she had also made sure to pack a bag with her keys, some spare clothes and toiletries for her stay. That woman really was odd as hell. She had nearly split her poor skull before she made sure that she didn't lack some kind of comfort during her stay.

Lynn opened the front door and entered the hallway.

Upon approaching the kitchen, she could hear the voices of her mother and Matt. Balling her hands into fists, she practically barged into the room, ready to give him a piece of her mind.

However, she stopped dead in her tracks as she saw the young, familiar woman sitting next to him at the kitchen table. It was the same girl that had claimed to have had sex with him.

Taken aback by the blatant gall he'd found to bring this floosie with him, she glared at her ex-boyfriend, absolutely speechless.

"Before you try and throw me out, I beg you to listen to me.", Matt started the moment he saw her.

Lynn grit her teeth. Why should she listen to him? What was the point? Did he come here just to mock her? God, she was fighting so hard right now not to cry on top of her anger.

"Please, love. Do him a favour and just listen. I'm sure your anger will deflate, darling, once you know what really happened all those weeks ago.", her mother grabbed the chance to pipe up.

Lynn swallowed, trying to get rid of the huge lump in her throat that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere and was currently making it hard to breathe. Her own mother stood up for him? Should she really hear him out? Her mother wouldn't have pleaded with her if what he had to say wasn't important...