Chapter XIV

And here it is: Chapter XIV. I hope you're still enjoying the story. Let me know in the comments if you were pleased with the plot.

Have fun reading the chapter.

Chapter XIV

"Your son kidnapped my daughter!", Howard Parker practically spat into the phone.

"I wanted to call the cops on him, but Clara insisted on calling you instead. So let me just say one thing: Contact that crazy son of yours and tell him to bring our daughter back!"

He heard Anne gasp, followed by a sad sigh.

"I can't contact him.", she whispered shamefacedly.

"What do you mean you can't contact him? You are his mother, for God's sake.", Howard hissed.

For a moment Anne Wilde stayed silent, apparently pondering on how to break the news gently to him.

"After his brother killed their mother, Xander almost broke off all contact with us to keep us and himself safe. When he wants to talk to us, he usually calls us anonymously or sends his proxy. We have no contact information, no address. He wanted to stay hidden, and he succeeded at it. I'm sorry, Howard, but there's nothing I can do. You'll have to wait until Xander brings her back."

Howard was about to respond, but Anne rushed to continue talking.

"Don't worry, though. Your daughter is safe with him. You've known him for eight years, Howard. They are best friends. He was probably just worried after seeing the news and needed to see for himself if she was okay."

Howard bit his tongue. He was close to losing his temper. The evening had been traumatic, his wife still looked ready to pass out, his daughter was missing, and her boyfriend was currently sitting in his kitchen, worried sick about Lynn. Admittedly, he couldn't prove Anne a liar. Xander had never mistreated his daughter. He'd been her best friend for ages. He knew all too well that the boy would never harm her and that she was safe.

Still, he wanted his daughter back. After the evenings' events he couldn't help but give in to the irrational fear of losing Lynn for good.

"I hope you are right, Anne. For your sake.", he said gloomily and ended the call.

He returned to the kitchen quite discontent. Matt, who sat on one of the kitchen chairs, looked like the proverbial picture of misery.

The boy raised his head to glance at him as he crossed the room to sit down at the kitchen table.

"Any news?", the boy whispered brokenheartedly.

Howard shook his head.

"Don't worry, her friend will bring her back to us. I'm sure."

Matt stared at his hands that lay in his lap.

"What kind of friend kidnaps his friends?", he rasped.

"The kind of friend who made enemies."

Matt chuckled darkly.

"Not very reassuring, Howard. Not in the least."

*

"YOU RETURNED TO THAT WEASEL OF A MAN?", the redheaded man roared. His eyes were ablaze with fury, his pale cheeks tinged with angry red spots. Lynn backed away, frightened by the look of utter hatred on his face.

"THE VERY ONE THAT BROKE YOUR HEART AND MADE YOU SOB IN MY ARMS? HE CHEATED ON YOU AND YOU RETURN TO HIM? YOU CHOOSE HIM, HIM, OVER ME?"