Chapter XII

Oh boy, it was hard writing this chapter. I dunno. Have fun reading it!

Chapter XII

Lynn had never been so happy about not having to talk about a rather sensitive matter as she had in the very moment Jeremiah decided that she had to leave.

"I'm really sorry, Lynn. I don't want to spoil our evening, but I need to work on the blueprints for the construction site. We'll reschedule our meeting, my love. I wish you a good night. Ecco will bring you home."

And with that he'd turned his back on her.

Now, sitting in the car, on the way back to her parents she couldn't help but feel relieved.

Jeremiah had unintentionally bought her some time to mull the situation over.

Hopefully, she would find a way to approach the problem without causing any heartbreak the next time they met.

The car stopped in front of her house, and just like last time Ecco didn't bid her adieu. Lynn got out of the vehicle.

Keys in hand she walked up to the front door, hearing the car speeding off.

I'll never get used to that woman, she thought with a frown as she opened the door and entered the hallway.

"Back so soon? Did you two have an argument?", her mother asked the moment she went into the living room.

"No, there was trouble at one of Xander's construction sites. He's now busy working on a solution to the problem.", Lynn answered as she sat down next to her mother.

„"Oh, the poor boy... I just hope he doesn't take his foster father as an example. Henry is slowly working himself to death. Xander should live a bit, don't you think?"

"Yeah, he should."

Her mother raised her brows at her absent-minded tone of voice.

"Are you disappointed with him for cutting your meeting short? I'm sure he had no other choice, so don't be hard on him."

"No, mum, I'm not angry at Xander. I'm just tired.", she lied, not wanting to disclose what was bothering her. "I'll be upstairs if you need me." She got up and went to exit the room. However, her mother's voice piped up once again and held her back.

"One more thing, Lynn."

She turned her head to look at her mother questioningly.

"The hospital has asked your father to attend its annual gala in place of Doctor Kenicky next Saturday. Of course we'll accompany him. The evening's entertainment doesn't sound dry, so I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves."

Lynn gave her mother a nod. She honestly couldn't care less if that damn gala proved to be entertaining or not. There were other much more pressing matters on her mind.

*

He went to  get some sleep at 6:30 in the morning. Stifling a yawn, he entered his cold bedroom and scowled at the sight of the empty bed. The evening hadn't played out as he had imagined it. He'd wanted to confess what he'd denied for a very long time. Emotions were a dangerous thing for someone who normally acted solely on logic and Jeremiah had spent months closing his mind to his growing feelings for his best friend out of fear of losing the ability to think straight. But after her last visit he just hadn't been able to ignore the way his heartbeat quickened whenever he saw her or how much he wanted to hold, caress, and kiss her not to mention how much he wanted to make love to her.