13

We ended up being thirty minutes late to Herbology.

I didn't care though.

...........................................................................

It's been a few weeks, and Marietta snitched. The prat.

Hermione's jinx was brilliant. The little git deserved worse though. I had a few ideas, but Hermione vetoed them.

Dumbledore left, which I can't say I'm necessarily sad about, but Umbridge is way worse.

I never much liked Dumbledore, not that I've told Harry that, but he has always gotten on my nerves. He has favored Gryffindors for as long as I can tell, and he never tells Harry anything until it is too late, a habit which I doubt he'll break, and he has said hardly anything to Harry all year.

Still, anyone is better than Umbridge.

...........................................................................

"You joined the Inquisitorial Squad?!?" I yelled at Draco.

We are arguing in the empty classroom near Snape's, but it's late enough that no one is around.

"Yes." He sounds oddly strained and stiff.

We get in little petty squabbles all the time, usually we won't talk for day or two, and then that's the end of it. Usually he fights back. We both scream at each other, so why isn't he now?

"Why on earth would you ever do something that stupid?"

"My father needs to stay in the best possible graces with the Ministry. This might help him a little, and my loyalty has to be with my family."

"Why do you think joining her will help? If he gets caught, joining her little group won't help anything! He will just be sent to Azkaban!"

Draco finally snaps.

"Maybe you don't understand why I am loyal to my family because you don't have any that gives a crap about you! You're father left without you and your mother doesn't care about you!" He yells.

I stand there in shocked silence. I know what he is saying is true, but it still hurts.

He puts a hand to his head, realizing what he said, and curses under his breath.

"Addilyn-" He whispers.

I don't let him finish. I walk out and slam the door as hard as I could.

I want to go back to my dorm, but the other girls are there. I need to talk to Hermione, but of course she still doesn't know about Draco. No one does, and it hurts to have to keep all these feelings to myself.

I run to the girl's restroom instead. Only once I close the door do I finally break down. I slide down the door, sobbing.

There are footsteps coming from the hallway. They get closer and stop in front of the door.

"Addilyn, I'm sorry."

I fling open the door, mascara running down my cheeks and tears still falling.

"You know exactly what you said! It's not like you lied! No one cares about me, and no one ever has!"

"Addilyn-"

"No! Don't you dare lie to me any more! You don't give a crap, so stop pretending!"

"I do care about you! Don't you understand?" He's yelling back again now. "You are the only person who has ever made me question everything I've been taught!"

"What a shame it didn't make a difference. You are still the same spoiled little boy who is still too scared to stand up to his dad."

The moment the words are out of my mouth I wish I could take them back. I might be angry with him, but I took it a step too far. However, I'm too deep to back off now.

"I am not too scared to refuse my father, I am trying to protect him! He might not be doing a good thing, but he is family, and I don't want him in Azkaban! You could learn a thing or two about helping people!"

This time Draco is the one to walk away.

I want to scream at him with every once of my being. I know I crossed a line, but it never would have happened if he hadn't joined the damn squad or he hadn't said those things.

I don't go after him. I know I should, but it will only get worse. Instead, I walk back to my dorm.

I lay on my bed and grab a book. It is one of my favorites, a muggle book.

This book always makes me cry.