4

A Beauxbaton boy asked me to the Yule ball. Neither of us had dates, so he asked me.

Later that night, I finally got around to that potions essay.

It is late again. Pansy leaves the common room looking particularly pleased.

I realize Draco is the only other person. I don't want him to offer to help again.

Talking to him makes me nervous and uncomfortable after the last two nights. None of that can happen again.

I pack up my books hurriedly.

Draco walks over to the door smirking. He blocks the doorframe before I can get past.

"Why are you in such a hurry Hale?" He asks still smirking.

"What does it matter?"

He chuckles, but I don't know what is so amusing.

"Do you need help on potions again?"

"No, in fact I finished it... last night."

"Hale, when have you ever not put off homework to the last minute?"

He moved one hand off the door frame and put it on my cheek.

"Well, I don't need help. I can get along just fine on my own."

"You sure you don't want any help?" His thumb is tracing my cheekbone.

Why is he driving me mad?

Is he doing this on purpose?

"I'm sure." I duck under his arm. "Now if you'll excuse me. I better get started."

It takes me hours, but I am far too stubborn and prideful to ask for help.

...........................................................................

A few days later is the Yule ball.

I was wearing silver dress robes, and my date, Gerold, was wearing light blue.

Pansy, turns out, was going with Draco.

Why does that make me so mad?

She is wearing ridiculous frilly pink dress robes that are completely at odds with her personality.

I look at Draco. He's staring at me again. This makes me absolutely furious. Gerold seems to notice.

"Well, we better get going." he says in his thick French accent.

"Yeah."

We walk away, but I can still feel Draco's eyes on me.

...........................................................................

The decorations are beautiful, the food is delicious, and everyone looks so happy.

I try to enjoy myself, but every time I start to have fun, I see Draco dancing with Pansy and both of them looking soooooo happy.

I grit my teeth for the fourth time and Gerold asks me what's wrong for the fourth time. I tell him nothing for the fourth time.

I finally am having fun. Hermione and Krum have joined us and Draco moved, so I no longer grit my teeth every five minutes. We are dancing and having a good time.

Gerald keeps looking over at where Harry, Ron, Pavarti, and Padma are.

At first I thought he was looking at Harry, then I realized who he was really looking at.

"Go for it." I whisper.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, have fun. She deserves to enjoy herself."

Gerold and Pavarti are now dancing, soon joined by Padma.

Ron was practically yelling at Hermione.

She wasn't doing anything wrong.

She and Krum went off to get more drinks, and who should approach, but the person I wanted to talk to least tonight, with the exception of maybe the Dark Lord.

"What Malfoy?" I practically growled at him.

His smirk was immediately wiped off his face.

"Hale, are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Now go off and dance with Pansy."

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out the door. He led me out of the castle, and we ducked behind some bushes.

"Why are we here Malfoy?"

"I wanted to talk to you." He inches closer and rests a hand on my waist.

"Stop. Stop doing this." I say gently pushing him away. He looks confused.

"Doing what?"

"One minute you're touching me, looking at me, making me feel like-

"Then the next you're off dancing with Pansy and looking so bloody happy. Well I hope you have loads of fun."

I turn to leave, but he grabs my wrist and pulls me back.

"Wait, Hale. I would have asked you to the ball, but I didn't think you would want to go."

"Well I might have, but now we'll never know."

"There is still plenty of time before the ball is over." He said raising his eyebrows. "Would you like to dance?"

"Won't Pansy be upset?"

"She'll find an abandoned Durmstrang boy. A sickle says she already has in the five minutes we've been out here."

"You're on Malfoy."

Sure enough when we enter, she is dancing with a Durmstrang boy. Now I owe Draco a sickle.

We walk over to where Hermione and Krum are dancing again, and Hermione gives Draco the side eye and decides not to ask.

Suddenly we are dancing and having a great time.

I look over at Harry and Ron who are both sulking.

I walk over to them.

Before I can even get a word out, Ron says, "Malfoy? Really? You and Hermione have really shown your true colors."

"You and Harry have been sitting in a corner all night. We are just trying to have fun."

"Fun? With those two?"

"Yes Ron. You two could have had a good night, but you were too busy pouting. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to try and enjoy myself."

Ron and Harry are grumbling, but I am already gone.