2

Ron and Harry have finally started talking again.

Hermione is still on about this whole S.P.E.W. thing. I have given up trying to convince her that the house elves are happy.

She's told me about Krum too.

She talks about him fondly, but she doesn't talk about him like she fancies him. She talks about him as if they are friends.

But what do I know.

The Yule ball is coming up. Ron and Harry are being idiots again. They haven't asked girls yet, and Harry needs a date.

He's been starring at Cho when he thinks no one's looking since last year. I don't have the heart to tell him Cedric's already asked her.

Poor Ron doesn't know about Krum. Hermione hasn't said anything about Krum to him or Harry. Ron has liked her since second year, though he would never admit to it, I see the way he looks at her.

It's not like I have a date either. Most Slytherins hate me because I'm friends with Gryffindors, most other houses hate me because I am a Slytherin.

...........................................................................

A loud noise brings me back. I was lost in thought.

It is past midnight, and the Slytherin common room is almost empty. I still have a potions essay due tomorrow.

The noise was caused by the only other current occupant of the common room slamming a book on the table I'm at. That person happens to be Draco.

"What do you want Malfoy?" I snarl at him.

"Just if you have any hope of finishing that essay, you might want to actually work on it." he says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes and say "Thank you so much for that useful insight. Now shove off."

To my irritation, he laughs. "I happen to be rather good at potions. I'll help you if you want."

"What exactly makes you think I want or need your help?"

"Well, at this rate you won't finish it by morning, for a start."

"Fine. But only because I don't want to fail while still getting some sleep tonight."

He is still smirking and looks very pleased with himself.

"Whatever you say Hale."

He gets his books from the table he was at before, comes back over, and sits in the chair next to mine.

...........................................................................

An hour and a half later we are almost finished.

"Ugh, it's lateeeeeee." I groan.

"Actually, you could argue, that it is early." Draco retorts.

"I AM TOO TIRED TO ARGUE WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!"

"Well, one conclusion sentence and you're done."

I scribble down the best thing my brain can think of and start to put away my books.

I turn to grab the last books and see Draco is staring at me.

"What?"

He doesn't reply.

I realize how close we are. Just inches apart.

He is looking at me in a way I don't understand.

His eyes are stormy gray. His usual smirk is gone.

He is looking at me like- like- no. Draco Malfoy? That isn't possible.

But great skies, why is he looking at me like that, and why do I care?

Has he always been really attractive or is it just me?

We are so close if I leaned in just a little-

No.

I look away and pick up my bag.

"Well, thanks Malfoy." I hurry back to bed.

Stars above I must be delirious. To see him that way, it just isn't possible.

I must be really sleep deprived.

Everyone else is asleep so I try not to make any noise.

Nothing happened.

When I wake up, this will all seem crazy.

It's just late and I'm tired.

That's all.

I could never have feelings for Malfoy.