After

I wash my hands after setting down the last plate, and my eye catches on the scar, faded by time, but still highlighted against my dark skin.

I pick up the three rings I always wear and slip them on.

The first is the promise ring from all those years ago.

The second is my engagement ring. It is gold wire with small diamonds braided together.

I remember the day Draco proposed to me like it was yesterday.

I woke up like I would any morning.

It was a little over a year after the war. We both went back to redo seventh year, and it was our first September moved away.

I spent the time in between the war and seventh year back and forth from the Burrow and the Malfoy Manner.

After we left school however, we spent all summer working as much as possible to buy our own house.

It was our first month there.

A little almost cottage like house, on a hill, with a big willow tree, and a swing hanging from it.

I woke up, and saw Draco was already awake. I go into the kitchen for some tea, and while I walk there, I realize I'm wearing a ring, and it's not my promise ring, because I take it off before going to sleep.

"Good morning darling." Draco says, kissing my forehead and putting a cup of tea into my hand.

"Good morning." I hesitate slightly. "Did you put this ring on me while I was sleeping?"

"Yeah."

"Is it an engagement ring?"

"Yeah."

"So is that a question?"

"Nope." He says, a smirk dancing across his face.

The third ring is our wedding band. We have matching ones. Plain silver, but written on the inside, there is one simple word engraved.

Checkmate.

"Hello my darling." Draco says, coming into the kitchen and hugging me tightly from behind.

"I just saw you like five minutes ago." I laugh. "Oh, and before I forget, we are going to see the Potters and Granger-Weasleys tomorrow at noon." I playfully glare at him. "And you better not say what you always do to Rose and Hugo when you see them."

"What's wrong with it?"

I straighten myself to seem taller and mimic his voice. "Red hair, and precisely iron robes? You must be a Granger-Weasley."

He burst out laughing.

"You are so obnoxious. Why did so marry you again?" I say jokingly.

"Because I'm prettyyyyyy." He singsongs.

He is one on those people that look better as they age.

A/n: I based his character on a combination of book and fanon Draco, him in the movies and and Tom Felton definitely did not age well, but I imagine fanon him aging well.

"And you loooovvvvveeee me." He continues to sing.

"And I wonder why every day."

He pretends to pout before a broad smile spreads back across his face.

"I still think it's a bit odd that Ron wanted to go by Ron Granger-Weasley." He says.

"Ok Mr. Draco Hale-Malfoy."

"I said that HE wanted to go by both names."

"And why is that surprising?"

"I thought they would both be Grangers." He shrugs. "He seems like the type to take Hermione's last name."

"Maybe."

Draco grabs a fork that I missed and quickly washed it.

We take turns when it comes to dinners. Every night, one of us cooks, the other cleans up afterwards, and the next night we switch.

"Thanks."

"No problem." He kisses my forehead.

I look out the window to see the sun setting. There is a perfect view from this window, and I love it.

It's a warm summer evening, and incredibly humid.

Draco comes up behind me, and starts to play with my hair, his fingers dancing along my scalp.

He starts braiding my hair. Braids are something I've been trying to teach him, but he can barely manage a regular braid, much less Dutch, French, or Fishtail.

As the sun disappears over the horizon, I turn back to face him, and press my lips to his.

We pull apart, and stare back out the window for a few minutes, watching the world go dark.

"Well, I need to go send off my letter to my mom." Draco says, turning away.

"Alright."

His mother and my father visit a lot. Lucius didn't make it out of the war. Andromeda comes sometimes though.

I just wish Ted could too.

"Momma?" I turn around to see a small figure in the doorway.

"Yes Scorpius?"

I have four kids. Scorpius is oldest, he's 7 now. He looks a lot like Draco, same blonde hair and grayish blue eyes.

Andromeda is 5, she and Lily Luna Potter are practically attached at the hip. She takes more after me, long thick hair and darker skin.

Aquila is 3, and she already shows very promising magical capabilities, despite being a toddler. She takes after Draco in all but the hair, which is dark like mine.

Lyra is the youngest, 2, and she practically idolizes Aquila. She looks mostly like me, but slightly lighter skin, and piercing blue eyes.

"Will you come say goodnight? And tell us a story?"

"Sure." He walks into the sitting room, where Andromeda, Aquila, and Lyra are already sitting. "What story do you all want to hear?" I take a seat on the couch.

Draco walks in, and sits down next to me.

"How did you and Daddy meet?" Andromeda asks.

I turn to look at Draco and smile, then back at my children.

"Well, I suppose it all started on the train."