Chapter 14

Bill's POV:

It's been a while since the "incident" with the cult. I praised Pine Tree the way I did because I knew he would be happy that I was happy. But in reality, I was actually terrified.

This once pure and innocent meatsack, that could do no wrong, was killing people for my sake.

I love the fire he has, the desire to belong to me. But no, this isn't how I want it. All I'm doing is fanning the flames instead of helping him. I need to find a way to fix him.

~

Ever since that day I've been reading book after book, trying to find a way to fix Pine Tree.

I've looked through books about mental health, head injuries, personality changes, you name it. But I haven't found anything specifically about his case. He's like the first of his kind.

This is so frustrating! I'm a dream demon for crying out loud! I'm supposed to know everything and I can't even find the cure for this helpless, beautiful meatsack.

I want to help him, I really do. But how do I help someone with no known cure? And worse of all, he probably doesn't even want the help.

Dipper's POV:

Ever since that day, Master has seemed different from his normal self. He's not the Bill Cipher I remember from three years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love being here and being with him. But this isn't exactly what I expected. All he ever does is sit down in the living room and read.

I'm not allowed to see what he's reading, but I'm okay with that. It gives me time to clean up the house and do whatever chores need to be done.

Master was especially unhappy today though. He seemed frustrated, like he couldn't find what he was looking for.

It made me feel bad that he was acting this way. It felt like it was my fault.

I know he didn't request it, but I tried to cheer him up all day. Every time he glanced at me, I would smile at him, showing how happy I was. I also brought him some snacks and water whenever he seemed down.

He seemed grateful for the things I did and he always seemed to try to work twice as hard every time he saw me. Maybe it was working!

Bill's POV:

Every time I glanced up from my book, I saw Pine Tree's face. He would smile at me, but not his creepy obsessed smile. It was a decent smile that said, "Don't worry, I'm here." I would quickly look back at my book and secretly smile back. Seeing him would make me more motivated to find a cure.

Late evening~

I was on my tenth book today with still not the slightest bit of answers.

I finished the latest book and slammed it shut out of pure rage. "FUCKING USELESS!" I shouted with all the anger that was buried inside me as I threw it across the room, causing it to slam against the wall.

I buried my face in my hands, feeling like a failure. None of these books are helpful, I'm probably just wasting my time.

A thought that's never crossed my mind then appeared: Should I give up?

It all felt hopeless, so why not?

Actually, why am I doing this again? What's the point of all this if I don't gain anything? Who's this all for?

Suddenly, through all of my thoughts and frustrations, I felt a light hand placed on my left shoulder. I turned to see who or what it was, and it was Pine Tree.

I was a bit confused, kind of forgetting why he was here.

He came closer and whispered into my ear, "It's ok Master, I know you can do it."

"Pine Tree..."

I suddenly remembered why I was doing this. Who I was doing this for.

I cupped the innocent meatsack's cheek and he snuggled into my hand a bit. "Thank you Pine Tree." I replied.

Pine Tree smiled at me, happy that he had helped me. He sat down on the arm rest of the chair I sat on and rested his head on my shoulder. He stared at the book, but I don't think he was reading it. It looked more like he had fallen asleep with his eyes open.

I closed his eyelids, ruffled his hair a bit, and went back to reading, more motivated then ever before. I have to do this.

For his health.

For his family and friends.

For him.

1:00 AM~

I was still, slightly, awake.

The room was completely dark, with only a single small candle lighting my book for me to see.

I was so, so tired. Curse this stupid meatsack body.

I need- I need to find-

"Pine Tree...."

Dipper's POV:

I woke up in the middle of the night, finding myself leaning on Master's shoulder.

He had fallen asleep and the candle he was using had died out.

I gently lifted myself up and stretched my arms a bit, following a yawn. I got a pillow and blanket and placed them on the chair for Master.

"Goodnight Master." I whispered.

Before I went to my room though, I noticed the book Master was reading had fallen on the floor to his feet. I picked it up and placed it on his lap, but I happened to read the title, "Mental Illnesses."

Does he- does he think that I'm sick like everyone else does?

No, no. Bill Cipher wouldn't care about something like that. He loves pure chaos and destruction, probably even praises insane people like himself, so why would he want to fix a broken mind any way?

I shrugged it off and went to sleep in my room. Besides, I'm not insane.