The Life and Lies

October 18th 1997

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Ron bellowed before Harper even felt her body hit the ground.

Someone pressed a cold hand to her forehead and she opened her eyes to see Hermione looking worriedly at her. The sky was pitch black above them, the moon dwindling low, it must have been well past midnight. She shushed as Harper pushed herself up to see the three boys standing in an air of destruction. Wait, three?

"Are you actually mental?" Ron continued to shout.

"Listen, I had no fucking time," Draco hissed, "what do you think I was going to do, leave him there for the Dark Lord?"

"YES!" Ron exclaimed, then pointed to the figure. Harper couldn't make out who it was in the darkness. "He's a Death Eater!"

"So am I," Draco's voice didn't reach the same height of sound as Ron's, yet it was just as loud.

"Who is it?" Harper asked while Hermione helped her stand.

"Theodore Nott," she replied quietly.

"Yes and look what you've done, brought more along, is this your grand plan, Malfoy? Infiltrate us with Death Eater's then take the horc-"

"Ron!" Hermione squeaked, stopping him from revealing the secret of their quest.

"I'm sorry, but there is no way on Godric's red earth this is okay!" Ron shouted.

"Give me a chance to explain, you wanker." Nott's noteworthy voice sounded.

"No," Ron growled, then marched over to Hermione and Harper, standing in front of them as if to separate the girls from the boys.

"Big mistake, Weaselbee, no one gets between Harper and I," Draco growled.

Harper rubbed her eyes. "Can we slow down, please?" She asked. Her head still throbbed from the vision she had seen upon escaping Godric's Hollow. Her heart was in an even worse state. The vision she'd been subjected too was utterly devastating. "What are you doing here, Nott?"

"I brought him along when we escaped," Draco answered.

"I asked Nott," she shot to him, rather annoyed Draco had taken it upon himself to start recruiting for their horcrux hunt.

"He was at Bagshot's house, Harp!" Ron interrupted, pointing at the scowling, thin wizard. "And he was dressed in the Death Eater get up and everything, out there attacking us." He then glared at Draco. "He was probably sent to hold Harper before You-Know-Who could arrive."

"I never attacked you," Nott held up a finger.

"Doesn't matter," Ron's eyes narrowed.

"Yes it does," Draco grounded. "He's defected, like me."

"Didn't look defected," Ron muttered.

"Stop it, Ron," Harper snapped, gaining her own glare from her near brother. "Nott, is this true?"

He looked to Draco first, who nodded encouragingly at him. "Yes... I 'spose."

"You suppose?" Hermione cocked a brow.

"Listen, Draco and I were supposed to 'defect' together, alright." He looked pointedly at the blonde. "But you went and did that without me, so I've been sent out of all these pissy missions since. It's not like I can just hang up the robes and retire. It's a death warrant to abandon the Dark Lord. I wasn't about to go do it by myself. Fuck that."

"You were going to defect together?" Harper's voice softened as she looked at her boyfriend.

"Like Nott said, it's not feasible to just pull out. Especially when our fathers are so high up and deep in the chain. We needed to wait for an opportunity to escape. I had my chance when we escaped the Manor. This was Theo's."