The Whomping Willow

June 6th 1994

Song Recommendation: To Build A Home by The Cinematic Orchestra 

Harper's head throbbed, a violent whirl of knowledge ripping her emotions apart. She wiped away at her damp cheeks, following Ginny down the stairs of the Shrieking Shack. Ron was limping in front of them, Lupin and Hermione both helping him walk. Then there was Sirius and Snape leading the way, their wands both trained on Pettigrew. Within the past hour, Sirius Black had gone from being a bloodthirsty killer to a loyal friend and protective godfather. Meanwhile Scabbers had gone from being Ron's pet to a treacherous delinquent.

To say she was confused and overwhelmed was a severe understatement.

"Are you okay?" Ginny whispered, a hand on her best friends shoulder.

"I think so," she replied, touching a deep scratch on her neck. The Whomping Willow sure did a number on the girls when they chased after Ron.

"It's a lot to take in," she said, eyeing Sirius and Pettigrew at the front. Along with Snape, they were awkwardly getting back up the tunnel, turning sideways but keeping their wands on the miscreant. Soon she was climbing up the rooty soil, bare knees scraping on the hard surfaces. "Go talk to Sirius," she urged once they finally met the cool night air.

She fumbled over the roots, watching Sirius leave Pettigrew to Lupin's hands whilst Snape took a look at Ron's leg. He stared at Hogwarts in the distance in awe, breathing the night air in deeply like he was inhaling the serum for life.

"You know what this means?" He asked.

Harper nearly jumped, she hadn't even made a noise yet he knew she was approaching. She tried not to be unnerved, wandering closer to stand beside him. It was incredible how all this time the man had survived Azkaban. Her heart hurt to think of the terrors he faced. Guilt had long tendrils around her, knowing she feared him all year. Only to realise things should have been the absolute opposite.

He glimpsed down at her, the shadow of a smile. "Turning Pettigrew in?"

She mirrored the tiny smile. "You will be free."

"Yes," the lips stretched wide. "But also, I don't know if anyone ever told you. James and Lily made me your godfather."

Her lips quirked, emotion swelling in her chest to wet her eyes. "I know," her voice on the cusp of stability.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling her closer and Harper blinked for a small tear to escape. "As your appointed guardian-well... If anything happened to your parents- I'll understand, of course, if you want to stay with your aunt and uncle."

Harper's eyes widened and she clutched onto his elbow. "Do you mean what I think you mean?" She nearly squeaked.

He breathed a laugh. "Once my name's cleared... if you wanted a different home..."

Harper felt any tension from the night leave her. Any fear or uncertainty she held towards Sirius Black disapparated. How could she question her godfather when he smiled at her with all the warmth of the sun? He pulled her close with an arm around her like a blanket. She felt comfortable with him. This was right. This was how it should be.

"I understand if you want to stay with Lily's sister-"

"Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?"

He chuckled at her enthusiasm, placing a hand on her forehead to brush her hair back affectionately. His eyes lingered on the lightning bolt scar. She closed her eyes as he leant down to press a small kiss on it. Another salty tear rolled down her cheek. Was this what it was like to have a family? Was this what it was like to be loved?