The Trouble

October 11th 1996

The first rays of sunlight shone through the windows, coating Harper's bed like sweet honey. She shuffled amongst the warm blankets, allowing herself a moment to shed the sleep from her brain, waiting for the visions of the night to give way. After a stretch and yawn, she slipped out of bed and tip-toed to the bathroom, careful not to wake Lavender or Pavarti. Though most nights they all swathed a silencing charm over their bed for better sleep. Hermione was already gone, presumably to avoid Lavender like she had been lately.

The bathroom tiles were cold enough that Harper flicked a heating charm over the hard surfaces. She followed through with her morning routine, lathering silky lotions against her skin in the shower. She blissfully took in the warm steam and leant against the white pristine tiles. Her brain pulsed as it did every morning, the after effect of a burdensome nights sleep. She tried not to dwell on it, but she couldn't help feeling concerned about the lack of Voldemort activity. Whatever he was off doing or planning was going to be bad news. She just wished she could prepare herself better in the meantime.

At least her scar hadn't hurt in months. She was under the impression that it would be burning all the time with Voldemort getting so powerful again.

She stretched on her tights and clipped on her skirt, pulling her shirts and jumpers on over top. Lastly, she draped the flowy robe over her shoulders. A few taps of her wand and her hair was dried and makeup floating to apply itself. When she returned to the Dursleys in the summers she missed her use of magic for easy things such as getting ready. Especially since they wouldn't allow her much more than a tiny towel that prolonged the hair drying process even more.

Lavender was renowned for sleeping in and taking even longer to get ready. And though Pavarti warmed back up to Harper, there was something fractured about their friendship. Lavender and Hermione's dispute didn't exactly help her in that regard. In the end she attended breakfast by herself, unless you counted Ginny's back while she gave Dean multiple kisses on the nose. She sighed into her tea, shoving the last of her sweet pancakes into her mouth.

The cry of the owls awakened her from the boredom and soon the tall ceiling of the Great Hall was filled with the winged birds. Having no parents and an aunt or uncle who couldn't care less, Harper was used to being missed in the mail delivery. It didn't bother her near as much as it did in first year when she watched her peers open letters filled with lollies and chocolates. Then again, Ron's howler in second year made her believe that perhaps she was the lucky one. So she struggled to hide the surprise in her eyes when Hedwig planted herself on the table, a small scroll in her claws.

"This again," she muttered.

When I look into your eyes I see myself being with you forever.

"Now that's just ridiculous," Harper rolled her eyes then scanned the Hall, trying to see if anyone was watching her. Of course she couldn't detect anything unusual. Everyone was happily chatting with their friends, scoffing their breakfasts into their mouth and enjoying their last free moments before class. She did note how the Slytherin table lacked the same enthusiasm as the others. They seemed sullen all year in all honesty. With Ginny so distracted by Dean, she scrunched the scroll up and shoved it in her pocket without another thought.

"I'm going to class," she said to no one, rising to her feet.

Out of habit, she rubbed her scar, willing herself to start ignoring these absurd letters. Who cares if someone has a crush on her. If they were too scared to come forth and would continue hiding behind this albeit- somewhat creepy notes - then Harper was positive she didn't want to be involved with them. If she were to find out who it was though... well it was safe to say she would be teaching them a lesson for creeping her out.