The Watchful Eye

July 31st 1991

Harper tried to be understanding when Hagrid said he felt too sick to accompany her into Madam Malkin's. To be fair, his skin was looking the same shade as her new white owl. Though she couldn't help but feel annoyed. It was her first time in Diagon Alley and she was still wrapping her head around all this magical stuff. Then again, how hard could it be to get her uniform fitted. Surely that process wasn't too different from the real world.

She walked through the store, surveying the array of school uniforms. Most of them had the same cloak-like nature of them, it seemed to be some sort of wizardry fashion. Finally she turned the corner of a rack to see the shopkeeper, or what she assumed was.

"Hello, dear," she greeted, a pile of fabrics in her hands. "What school are you after?"

"Hogwarts," Harper said, hoping she remembered that right.

"Fabulous, I have a boy being fitted for that right now. Head to the back, please," she nodded down the shop.

Harper obediently followed, pushing past racks of materials and long robes. She rolled one holder over to reveal two podiums for uniform fittings, mirrors on either side. The boy being fitted stood rather tall and lean, Harper couldn't believe how light blonde his hair was. It was like strands of snow, brushed back into something pearly-blonde. What a beautiful colour, she thought. He looked up into his mirror, meeting eyes with Harper.

The first thing she did was smile at him in the reflection, but he blatantly stared back at her, not even blinking.

"Up on the podium, please," Madam Malkin said as she entered the area. She walked over to the fair boy, pinning the loose materials at his side. She then whisked her wrist into the air and the robes on a nearby coat hanger floated up and onto Harper. She didn't hide the shock on her face, followed by the huge smile that came from seeing such simple magic. It was truly amazing, Harper couldn't wait to make things fly at the snap of a finger.

She looked up into the mirror again, seeing how long the robes fell on her small body. The seamstress was going to have to cut almost half of this material off. Her eyes then caught the boy next to her, still staring unabashedly at her. What was he looking at? He couldn't see her scar, could he? She'd brushed her hair over it after Hagrid told her people recognised it.

"Hello," she said to him, wanting to break the silence.

The boy half lost his balance on the podium, realising he'd been caught. "Hello," he said after clearing his throat. "Are you going to Hogwarts?"

"I am," Harper smiled as Madam Malkin adjusted the robes. "It's my first year."

"Mine too," the boy smiled. "My father's next door buying my books and mother's up the street looking at wands. Then I'm going to drag them off to look at racing brooms. I don't see why first years can't have their own. I think I'll bully father into getting me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow."

Harper laughed at the boys enthusiasm. "Wouldn't that get you in trouble if we're not allowed?"

"Only if I get caught," he winked only to have her laugh a little bit more. It seemed her laugh was contagious because she found the boy wearing a supersize grin when she looked back at him. "Have you got your own broom?" He then asked.

"I don't," Harper replied as Madam Malkin returned to the other boys robes, writing down some measurements on a floating notepad and leaving.

"Do you play Quidditch?"

"I don't," she replied, wondering what on earth Quidditch was. He frowned slightly and Harper instantly wanted to correct her answer. Gosh, she had a lot of wizardry knowledge to catch up on. This boy seemed to be well versed in the magical world.