The Visions

August 25th 1997

Harper was almost blinded by the bright sun shining through the gold and green forest they were in. It had been a monumental past couple of hours. Under polyjuice potions, they'd broken into the Ministry of Magic and after multiple obstacles, she managed to steal the real locket back off Umbridge. It was far from the easy plan they had anticipated and worse, painted a full picture to Harper of how the wizarding world had changed now that Voldemort was out there pulling the strings. Wizard scientists had published "proof" that muggle-borns were inferior and the Ministry were now listing and tracking them. Everyone was required to register and give proof of their heritage. Harper could barely believe the things she saw and heard in their pursuit.

Now they were in a random forest Hermione apparated them too. Ron was bleeding profusely with a huge chunk of his side missing after being splinched since one of the Death Eater's, Yaxley, grabbed them upon their escape. They were supposed to return to Grimmauld Place, but now Yaxley had gained entry to the house. Despite how gloomy and oppressive the place was, it was their one safe refuge. Especially since Kreacher was happier and friendlier, it was nearly a home. With a twinge of regret, Harper pictured her house-elf busying himself over the steak and kidney pie they would now never return to eat.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked Ron, her hands stained bright red.

"Lousy," he croaked, still paler than Harper had ever seen him. "Where are we?"

"The woods where they held the Quidditch World Cup," Hermione sighed, "it was the first place I could think of."

"We don't have many options," Harper assured, "this will do."

"I should put some protective enchantments around the place if we're staying," Hermione said, hopping to her feet.

Harper watched silently as her friend, splattered in Ron's blood, paced in a wide circle, murmuring incantations as she went. She could see little disturbances in the surrounding air like a heat haze covered them in a sphere. The guilt prodded at her as this was what her friends were resorted to. Knowing they'd just dismiss her concerns, she prepared the tent in Hermione's bag. A simple erecting spell and the misshapen canvas rose in one fluid motion, fully constructed.

"At least I can use magic," she reasoned with herself.

They half carried and half dragged Ron into the tent, the interior extremely simple with two relatively large wooden beds and some spare furniture and essential utilities. She wasn't about to complain, she was thankful Hermione had the organisation to even have this for them. It was without question the girls would share one bed while Ron immediately dirtied the other with his wounds. Even the small journey into the tent left their friend whiter, he leant his head back and seemed to fall asleep.

Harper and Hermione were quiet for the hours to follow, drinking tea from their makeshift campfire. The hot drink helped burn away some of the fear fluttering in her chest. She wondered how many more of these stunts could they pull before something worse happened to one of them. Ron was lucky to be alive, Harper wasn't sure she could have coped with the loss of either of them. It was supposed to be a simple mission, why did everything always have to go wrong? Finally, Harper pulled out the locket they had all risked their lives for, staring at the ornate object.

"It looks untouched," Harper said, turning over the pristine jewellery in her hands. It wasn't like the mangled remains of the diary or the cracked ring. "Kreacher was right, we need to open this thing before we can destroy it." Though she knew it wouldn't work, she tried to prise it open with her fingers, then tried the unlocking charm.