The Astronomy Tower

December 25th 1992

Harper sat anxiously in front of the brewing Polyjuice Potion. It looked like thick and dark mud, she really wasn't looking forward to drinking it. Nevertheless, she wasn't about to abolish a months work of potion making because she couldn't stomach it. Thankfully she was adept enough at potion's to pull it off herself which was uncommon for a second year. A testament to her mother's gift, she assumed. Even Hermione was impressed.

Her best friend swung open the bathroom door, excitement in her steps until she saw the state of the potions they would soon be drinking. "It really looks distasteful, doesn't it?" Her face contorted in disgust.

"I know," Harper also grimaced as she stirred. "Did you get it then?"

She joined Harper on the tiled floor, presenting two hairs in her palm. "Pansy Parkinson and Millicent Bulstrodes. Oh, I think I've forgotten which is which," she frowned. "I think the one with a slight curl is Millicent's."

"It's like picking between the lesser of two evils." Harper still hated the idea of posing as one of the girls that bullied her constantly. It helped knowing they were asleep in a broom cupboard somewhere. "I sneaked these spare robes out of the laundry."

She ladled large dollops of the potion into the glass tumblers, her hand trembling as she dropped a hair in each. The potion hissed like a boiling kettle and frothed madly. She handed one to Hermione who was pinching her nose.

"I hope this doesn't make me as sick as Ron's little sister," she scowled.

It was true, Ron's little sister Ginny had been really sick the past month. Which was a massive shame for Harper because she enjoyed the girls presence. Lately she was looking really peaky, enough so that Percy was forcing her to take Pepperup Potion. They suspected it was owing to the spate of colds taking over the school so for the meantime they had been keeping their distance.

"Bottoms up," Harper said, pinching her nose then drinking the potion in big gulps. It tasted like slimy, overcooked cabbage and the moment Harper felt it enter her system it was like live snakes writhed in her stomach. She thought she would be ill, clasping a hand over her mouth to see Hermione was gagging. Next came a burning sensation spreading from her stomach to her fingers and toes.

Her skin bubbled then stretched. Her hair darkened and shrunk back to her chin. Her feet grew almost twice in size. She doubled over and felt her body change so much it was bursting at the seams of her Gryffindor robes. She rushed to swap her clothes, catching a glimpse of Hermione struggling in Millicent's massive body.

"Remarkable," Hermione eventually said as she adjusted her green Slytherin tie. "Well done, Harp."

They magically hid the evidence and descended to the dungeons, laughing as they took advantage of their new bodies. Pansy and Millicent would have a new reputation of being uncoordinated hippos tomorrow. Once they were in the dark labyrinth of the dungeons they found themselves lost, constantly running in circles. Just when Harper was about to have a spat, a few voices echoed behind them.

Draco Malfoy was strolling toward them, and for the first time in her life, she was pleased to see him. Behind him lugged Crabbe and Goyle, arguing and pushing between themselves.

"Hello Pansy," he said with a tiny simper, not even sparing a glance at Hermi- Millicent.

Harper feigned a bright smile, realising she didn't know how Pansy behaved amongst her peers. It was no secret the girl was always fawning after Malfoy, but Harper would rather eat slugs than hug the cretin. At least she knew the pug was incredibly full of herself and stuck up. She quickly turned her nose up and pursed her lips.