Epilogue

August 31st 2017

It was one of the largest rooms in the Ministry of Magic, where officials held the most important of their gatherings. White and black marble tiles with pillars stretching so high that freshly recruited Auror, Esme Williams, couldn't even see the ceiling from where she stood. She tried to hide her intimidated expression, after all this was her first proper Ministry event she was invited too and the room was truly breathtaking.

Magic force fields contained columns of water with fish swimming inside of them throughout the room. Everything was aglow by the floating crystal chandeliers and a refreshing scent of mist wafted from a central fountain. It was an enormous piece of marble in the shape of a centaur, leaping into the air with water spouting over it. When the illuminated chandeliers moved the right way, a soft prism of colours washed over the crowd. It was by far the most extravagant party Esme had ever attended.

She took a glass from a floating tray holding champagnes, eyeing the crowd and feeling a thankful sense of relief when she spotted her dearest friend, Helena Brown, in the room. Helena greeted her politely, too on edge in front of one of their bosses, and soon she was immersed in small talk. It was a dreadfully boring conversation, as everything work related was, but Esme nodded and smiled. Though she was easily distracted by the balloon arches bursting into little pastel birds.

"Merlin's beard, she's done a fantastic job, hasn't she?" Their boss remarked at the display.

"Is it so surprising? Hermione Granger-Weasley is extraordinary," Helena commented lightheartedly. "She's accomplished so much ever since she became Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

Esme nodded, it was true. Ever since the Hogwarts prodigy joined the division, she had done awe-inspiring work for house elves and had even revolutionized what was considered pest advisory within the wizarding world. Today's event was to celebrate her recent action; removing centaurs from being classified and labelled 'beasts' by the Ministry of Magic. Considering their human intelligence it was something she was very passionate about.

"Is that who I think it is?" Helena squinted into the roaming crowd of Ministry officials and guests. "Godric, it is!"

Esme was searching the direction she was looking, but couldn't tell who was who in the packed mass of witches and wizards. "Who is it?"

"Harper Malfoy, the Chosen One who defeated Voldemort!" Helena exclaimed.

Esme rocked onto her tippy toes and then her eyes landed on the famed woman. She and her husband were some of the highest acclaimed Auror's in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Harper looked absolutely spell-binding tonight in a low-cut black, gown. It hung delicately off her shoulders, a golden canine brooch pinned to the corner. Her dark-ginger hair was done up in an elegant updo, pearls pinned in and around the styled bun. There were a few loose strands spilling out of the hairdo, but it only made her look even more beautiful. Everyone had said that Harper embodied the Malfoy grace after she married Draco Malfoy and it looked positively true. The one thing that had undoubtedly not changed about the girl who lived, however, was her deep emerald eyes.

Esme smiled, realising that Harper Malfoy was smiling over at her.

⋄⋄⋄

"Mrs. Malfoy?"

"Yes?" She asked, turning to the man bursting in his spot beside her.

"I'm sorry to trouble you, but would it be too much to ask for an autograph?"

Though she felt the irritation flare inside of her, Harper smiled amiably. She wordlessly conjured a quill from the empty glass in her hand, quickly scribbling H.Potter on the man's napkin and patiently listening to him boast about his recent admission to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The smile she was faking began to hurt, so now she had to see this man on the weekly at work? Brilliant.