FORTY NINE

I watch my master's Convor fly in circles above the streets of Mandalore. After a moment, I turn my attention back to the warrior in front of me.

"I'm here to make you a proposition." I narrow my eyes at him, and he raises a brow.

"Oh? The Empress has a proposition for me?" He smirks. "I'm almost honoured." I ignore him, and continue.

"I am reforming the Knights of Ren. You've caught my attention, Jaedec." I tap my shoulder twice, and Morana descends from the sky to perch there. I scratch her head lightly before stepping closer to the bounty hunter I've chosen to join my knights. "If you refuse, you will be deemed a threat to the Order, and I will strike you down."

"How do I know you're even qualified to lead such a group? I've heard the stories. You hardly look like a brute." He grins, looking me up and down. I ignite my saber, and chaos erupts as the citizens around us try to flee. "Oh, you want to do this here?" I don't answer, holding my saber in a reverse grip. "Okay, so what are the rules, your Highness?" I grit my teeth, but refuse to let his jests distract me.

"You kneel to me and swear undying allegiance, or I kill you." I take up my fighting stance, and he does the same, pulling a collapsible staff from his belt. It extends fully, and electricity starts dancing along the metal. So he wants to play with lightning? With the hand not gripping my lightsaber, I summon lightning, and it arcs up my arm. I hold back a wince as the heat bites into me. Swallowing the pain, I let it focus me.

"That looks painful." He grins, nodding to my arm, which sparks as I narrow my eyes.

"You don't know pain." He shrugs, lunging towards me. I duck, grabbing his wrist and zapping him. I make sure not to injure him too much, only releasing enough energy to throw him against a wall. He grunts, landing on his knees. Looking up, his grin hasn't faded.

"You're going easy on me, Manik." He stands, spinning his staff twice. "Aren't you supposed to be ruthless?"

"If I weren't going easy on you, you'd be dead." I snap. "This is just a sparring session. If you decide to join me, I don't need you fatally injured." He shrugs, lunging towards me again. I block with my lightsaber. "Mandalorian Iron." I nod, noting that the staff doesn't cut in two. He retreats a few steps, spinning his staff. I take the moment to advance on him, bringing my saber down on his head. He ducks, trying to jab up towards me. I grab the spear with my electrified hand. His eyes widen in surprise as I rip it from his hands. He cries out as I use the force to knock him onto his back. He groans, looking up at my saber, which is at his throat. "Now you choose." I narrow my eyes. "Life or death." He reaches his hand towards me. Life. He expects me to help him up, but I only shut off my saber, calling his staff to my hand. It buzzes angrily in my hand. I toss it to him as he helps himself up. He stands, a smirk on his face.

"So, where's the rest of the team?"