FIFTY SIX

Ben's POV

I stand above her, staring. Her eyes are glossed over as she gasps, fingers twitching. It's as if I'm in a trance, a dream. I didn't even realize what I was doing until it was too late. I can't move. "I'm sorry." I whisper, lightsaber falling from my hand.

"You betrayed me again." She chokes, eyes welling with tears. I kneel by her side as she grits her teeth in pain. I look at the wound in the center of her chest. The heat from my lightsaber cauterized it, but there may be internal bleeding. 

I feel her slipping away.

"Luella, I-" Her eyes flutter shut, and I grip her shoulders, panic causing me to shake her roughly. "No! Wake up!" I pause, gasping for air, seeing her glazed, shocked eyes. Tears trail down her cheeks, body trembling with silenced sobs. "I have to get you to a medical unit." I say, sliding my arms under her legs and back, getting ready to pick her up, but she gasps in pain, batting away my hands.

"D- don't touch me. You've done enough." Her words shoot guilt through me, and I stumble back.

"Luella, you're-" She winces, waving a hand.

"Dying, yeah." She smiles a little, more tears escaping and trailing down her cheeks. "It's not as scary as I thought it would be." Her eyes flutter, and she takes a deep breath. "I'm glad. He's gone now, out of my head. At least I won't have to die with him screaming my failure at me. I'm glad it's over." She exhales sharply with a wince. I tap a button on my commlink, sending a message for a medic to come.

"Hey, don't say that." I move closer to her, gripping her hand, surprised that she responds with an iron grip of her own. She chuckles.

"Now's the part where I'm supposed to repent, admit my guilt, isn't it?" She sucks in another breath. "I- I'm not sorry." She smiles sadly, looking up at me. The gold in her irises is fading, and I don't know if it means she's dying or turning to the light, though the latter seems unlikely now. Tears still stream down her face, and now they trace my own cheeks. "I thought- I didn't believe him when he said..." Her voice trails off as she closes her eyes.

"What are you talking about? Who?" I ask, trying to hold on as she pulls her hand away, dropping it to her chest.

"Marduk." She smiles again, opening her eyes, the gold rings now brighter than I've ever seen. "He told me I had to kill you. I refused." Her smile fades. "But he was right." She coughs a little, wincing. "You didn't hesitate."

"I-"

"You should go." She mutters. "You don't have to stay."

"I won't leave you. Not this time."

"It wasn't a request." Her eyes start to close.

"Luella." I take her hand again. "Stay with me." Her eyes flutter open for a moment.

"Kylo?" My eyes fill with tears. How could I do this to her?

"Yeah, yeah It's me." I say, holding back a cry of despair as her breathing becomes more shallow. "Come on, let me take you to a medic." She shakes her head, just barely conscious now.

"You won't make it." She lifts her hand to my face, cradling my cheek. The gesture is so similar to how my father cradled my face when I killed him. A sob wrenches itself from my throat. Why do I kill everyone who loves me? "It's okay." She whispers, eyes closing. "You'll get over it." Her hand falls to her chest, this time because of gravity. "I died a long time ago."

"No." I wait for her to take a breath, but her skin only pales, turning to a grey sheen. "No!" I sob. "Open your eyes, Luella!" I take her face in my hands, feeling for her through the force, but she's gone. I hang my head, my hair tumbling across my face as I let the tears fall silently.

"General Solo?" I look up to see a medic kneeling on the other side of her body.

"Can you do anything?" I ask, voice rough and wet. The medic shakes his head.

"She's gone. I'm sorry." He moves to pick her up, but I growl a warning, and he backs away. I slide my arms under her, lifting her up. She's so lifeless, but heavy.

"Call the Final Order." I say quietly. "Tell them we come peacefully and regretfully to deliver Lady Manik's body."