THIRTY NINE

"The mission went well, my master." I say, kneeling before him. "Chandrila is ours, as well as its moons." The Son hums, turning towards the ship's window.

"Excellent job. And Karasi's vessel?" I furrow my brow. Karasi? That's new.

"Your sister?" I ask, unsure.

"Ah, forgive me." He steps closer to the window. "Abeloth has made me nostalgic."

"You said this is your home planet." I say, stepping beside him, looking out the window as well, surveying the barren landscape.

"Yes. My family and I used to live here, it was beautiful."

"What happened?" He smirks, looking away.

"Mortals in search of immortality. There was a woman who served us, but she grew close with our family. We began calling her mother, and she was able to keep my sister and I's warring spirits at ease. She was the one who named us."

"What is your name, master?" He hesitates.

"Marduk. She named me Marduk." I bow my head.

"Master?" He looks at me, and I continue. "Why can't we go to the surface?"

"My mother was growing old. She feared we would move on and forget her after she died. She disobeyed my father and drank from the Fountain of Life." He points to the largest mountain. "She became one with the planet, and her anger drove away the people who lived here." I look at my master, Marduk.

"Karasi's vessel was there, as you predicted." I say, answering his original question.

"And?"

"I defeated him."

"He is still alive." Marduk says, frowning.

"Victory does not have to be obtained through death, Master." I angle my head. "Didn't you say we both have to be alive for balance?"

"Do you ever wonder why I picked Abeloth as our base planet?" He asks. I shake my head. "Karasi may have abandoned our home, our mother, but I have not. In return, Abeloth speaks to me."

"What does she say?" I ask, fear rippling around me. I try to reign it in, but it's too much.

"One of you is destined to die. You need to kill him."

"What?" I stand up straighter. "Master, I will not kill Ben Solo." Marduk whirls around, eyes alight with fury.

"You will not defy me, Manik. I am your master, I hold your reins." I step up to him, legs trembling. "I own you."

"I will not be the one to kill him." I growl.

"Then he will kill you." Marduk turns toward the window again. "And he will not hesitate."

"Maybe not, but despite his fading feelings for me, mine are still vibrant." I hiss, turning and storming towards the door.

"Manik." He growls, using the force to freeze me. He forces me to turn around, and I glide across the floor until I kneel at his feet. "You will learn to despise him in time, once his true colours are shown." He holds out his arm, and a dark creature flies across the room from where it was hiding in the shadows, landing on his forearm. "This is Morana, she is very special. She is the reason I called you to me today."

"She's a bird." I say, eyeing the convor. "How is she special?"

"You still look at the world so naively, apprentice." He says sharply. "She is one of a pair. Her counterpart, Morai, belongs to my sister. Abeloth gave the creatures to us a millennium ago, and they have remained the companions of our chosen warriors since." I narrow my eyes. "She will be your companion as well."

"Master-"

"You will go to Malachor. Visit the Sith temples there, bring Morana with you. It is her homeworld, she can help you navigate the planet."

"I don't need an emotional support bird." A hint of a smile crosses his face as he holds the bird out to me. "I'm not taking that thing." His face hardens again.

"You will take the bird, or suffer the consequences." I groan.

"Fine. Come on, thing." It coos, flying over to me, and landing on my shoulder, and nestling into my hair. I grunt, pushing her off my shoulder. "When do I leave for Malachor?" I ask him.

"Now."