TEN

KYLO REN

She falls asleep quickly, the scent of alcohol still surrounding her. I sigh, exasperated.

Why is she being so difficult? What made her decide to pick up the drink?

Was our fight yesterday really that impactful on her?

I should apologize.

Why should I apologize?

I did nothing but warn her about Vicrul and his womanizing. I drag a hand down my face. Why are women so complicated? Her fingers are still gripping mine and I brush a knuckle across her cheek. She looks so peaceful when she's asleep, even if she's intoxicated.

"Ben." I stand, a growl ripping from my throat as I turn, still unaccustomed to her not physically being in the room when these Force-Connections happen.

"I thought we were done with these." I say darkly, heart thundering. "Snoke is dead, we haven't had a connection in a month. Why now?" I resist the urge to look towards Luella, to give Rey any kind of reason to know about her. If she finds out, Lu might get hurt.

"I don't know." My efforts are fruitless, and I subconsciously look towards Luella, her lips are slightly parted and her hand hangs off the bed where I dropped it. "Where are you?" Rey asks, frowning.

"My quarters." I lie. She steps toward me, laying a hand on my shoulder. I shudder at her touch. She looks around the room, gaze landing on Lu.

"Who's that?" She asks, something like anger flashing in her eyes.

"None of your business." I snarl.

"Are you keeping..." Her sentence trails off and I realize what she was going to say. My face pales.

"No, no. She's a friend of mine." I say quickly. "I would never keep prostitutes on my ship."

My stomach churns even at the suggestion that I would do something to Luella, sweet, innocent, Lu. No, never.

"I thought you didn't need friends." She says sadly.

Right, I told her last time we had a connection that I didn't need friends, let alone her. I feel something like regret, the urge to apologize.

"This is different." I say, feeling the connection fading as someone from her end calls her name. Chills snake down my spine as I recognize the voice. Mother?

"Goodbye, Ben." She says quietly and I reach out a hand, wanting to stop her from leaving, but she's gone. Looking down, I see Lu's face still calm, and the room still quiet. I bend over and press a kiss to her temple.

"Goodnight, Luella."