TWENTY ONE

"Where'd you get the materials for a new lightsaber design?" Kylo asks, blocking my attack. I shrug, twirling the weapon between my fingers as I move back to take him in.

"Found 'em. They guys all donated stuff." He chuckles, taking a swing at me. I duck, sliding under his saber and ending up behind him, gripping the black leather hilt of my weapon. He whips around, ducking my swipe. "You know, Cardo told me about your trip."

"Did he, now?" He moves to attack my left side, but I ignite the other side of my saber, blocking him. His face slackens. "Where'd you get the second Kyber Crystal to make a double bladed saber?" He demands. I smirk.

"I met your friend, Albrekh." Kylo furrows his brow.

"The metalsmith? I've never seen him outside the forge."

"Trudgen took me to see him. He had a few crystals." I duck, dodging another attack.

"I see." He parries. "You got any more surprises, Amica Mea?" Grinning, I detach the two hilts.

"Only one." He blinks as I kick him in the chest, knocking the saber from his hands. He laughs.

"I'm proud of you." I pull him to his feet, reconnecting and turning off my sabers.

"I want to go with you, Ky." His face darkens.

"Luella, last time I let you go, you got hurt. You'll bear those scars for the rest of your life." He turns away, using the Force to summon his water bottle. "That's on me. I let you go. You were in danger because of me."

"I don't blame you, Kylo." I touch his arm. "But you can't expect me to be happy staying here on this ship for the rest of my life." He turns his chestnut gaze to me.

"You're not happy?"

"That's not what I meant." I drag a hand over my face. "I'm happier than I've ever been, but I want to go with you. Some days I feel like little more than a glorified nanny for the seven of you." His mouth twitches.

"A glorified nanny?"

I punch his arm.

"I'm serious, Ren. I don't want to keep getting left behind." He lets out a long sigh, closing his eyes and rubbing his temples.

"In another time, you could've been a senator, my dear." I glare at him, folding my arms across my chest. He throws up his hands. "Fine, you can come, but you're going to have to follow the plan."

"Great! I can do that! What's the plan?"

--

"You look-"

"Ridiculous?" I offer, face burning.

"-Beautiful." Vicrul finishes through his mask. "You look beautiful, Luella." I cross my arms to chase away the tingles running across my skin.

The front of my hair is pulled back into an elegant braid with strands of silver wire entwined.

The black gown has off the shoulder sleeves that fade off into a kind of loose cape, and a steady, modest neckline.

The top is simple, tightening at my waist, where a thin band of woven silver separates the top from the bottom.

The skirt is long in the back, whispering across the floor when I walk, and the front is slightly higher so I can walk better. It has a thin layer of gauze-like material which is sprinkled with silver dust.

I have a pair of black flats on my feet, and my eyelids are dusted in silver as well. My lips and cheeks are stained a light pink.

"Arashell helped me." I say, gripping my fingers anxiously. The little girl was often rented out to help rich ladies prepare for the night during her and Temiri's time on Cantonica. I feel two gloved fingers on my chin, angling my face up. Vicrul's helmet is inches from my face. He lifts it up just past his nose, so only his mouth is visible, and kisses me.

"How did I get so lucky to be in love with a girl like you?" My heart skips a beat.

Love.

He pulls the helmet back over his mouth and steps back.

"I've never been to Atterra Alpha." I say awkwardly, glancing out the window. "Why are we going?"

"We have some suspicions about their true allegiance, so we're going to investigate." Kylo says, walking into the shuttle, voice faltering as he sees me. "Wow, Lu. You look-"

"Save it, Ren." I grumble. "Just tell me why I have to get dressed up."

He blinks.

"The Queen is well known for her appreciation and support of other women, so maybe if you could somehow befriend her..."

"I could learn more about them and sway them to our cause." I realize, amusement racing through me.

Our cause.

When did my loyalties change? A small voice in me says that they never did, that Kylo will always be the one I follow until the end of time.

"Right." He points out the window. "That's our destination." I study the blue-green planet, a familiar anxiety building in my gut.