Chapter 2- Meeting the Avatar

For the past couple of days, they had been sailing, attempting to find the Avatar. I was truly wishing that I hadn't asked my father to bring me with him.

"Nico, get up," my father says, bursting through my chamber. "We're taking a break go find some food, weapons, anything."

I groaned. "You do it, dad!"

"Stop, being lazy and get up," he said, slamming my door shut.

I rolled my eyes. Ppft dads.

I walked off the ship and looked around the town, noticing a small fruit shop.

The woman looked at me surprised, yet scared, was it because of my outfit?

She flinched. "How may I-I help you?"

"Can I have a bag of crab, egg, duck, banana, and berries please?"

She packed everything and handed it to me. "Have a nice day young lady."

"Thank y-" I stopped. "Wait, am I not paying for this?"

"Everything is free for the Fire Nation."

"Oh," I handed her a bag of coppers. "Here."

"Oh, honey, this is too much, you don't have to."

"No, I insist," I smiled.

"Thank you dear, but really you-"

The door opened. "Hi, mom."

"Where have you been, Haru?" His mother asked. "You're late! Get started on your chores."

The door slightly opened again. "Hey! You're that kid!"

Haru gasped.

"Why did you run away before?" The young girl asked.

"Uh, you must have me confused with some other kid," Haru nervously says.

"No, she doesn't," a younger boy walked in. "We saw you earthbending."

Haru and his mother gasped as his mother quickly closed the door and windows to the shop.

What have I gotten myself into? I just wanted some food.

"They saw you doing what?" The mother asked.

"They're crazy mom. I mean, look at how they're dressed."

I looked the trio up and down and noticed the two teenagers looked like siblings and looked as if they were from the Water Tribe. The young kid looked like he was an air nomad. Wait an air nomad? No way, is that the Avatar?

"You know how dangerous that is," The mother scolds. "You know what would happen if they caught you earthbending?"

I cut in. "Um, sorry to interrupt but can I go-"

"Open up." A voice said, pounding on the door.

The Water Tribe boy opened the blinds to the window. "Fire Nation. Act natural."

Haru's mother quickly opened the door.

I stood still with my food in my arms. I looked around at the other kids to see them in weird poses. I thought he said act natural?

"What do you want?" The mother asked. "I've already paid you this week."

"The tax just doubled." The guard said. "We wouldn't want an accident, would we?" He smirked, forming a ball of fire. "Fire is sometimes so hard to control."

I narrowed my eyes at the guard. He looked straight at me and laughed.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Captain Zhao's daughter."

"It's Commander now." I snarked.

"How's your father doing?"

"Why don't you ask him yourself."

"Still, the smart mouth," he laughed and walked over to the counter to collect Haru's mother's money.

"You can keep the coppers ones." The guard said, throwing them on the ground.

I crouched down and picked up the coppers, handing them to Haru's mother.

"Thank you dear."

"No problem," I sweetly replied.

"Nice guy." The Water Tribe boy sarcastically said. "How long has the Fire Nation been here?"

"Five years." Haru's mom replies. "Firelord Ozai uses our town's coal mines to fuel his ships."

I looked away guilty.

"They're thugs." Haru hissed. "They steal from us and everyone here is too much of a coward to do anything about it."

"Quiet, Haru!" His mother says and looked back at me. "I am so sorry, please don't take my Haru away."

I looked at her confused. "Why would I do that?"

"Because you're Fire Nation." The Water Tribe boy snarks.

The Water Tribe girl cuts in. "But Haru's an earthbender. He can help."

"Earthbending is forbidden." Haru's mother says. "It's caused nothing but misery for this village. He must never use his abilities."

I gasped. "How can you say that?"

"Yeah," the Water Tribe girl agrees. "Haru has a gift, asking him not to earthbend is like asking me not to waterbend." She then points at me. "And like asking her not to firebend."

I corrected her. "Actually, I'm an earthbender."

Everyone turned to me.

"But you're-"

"Yeah, I know, I'm half Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom. Surprise. I'd love to stay and chat but I gotta go before my father comes looking for me. Ciao."

The Water Tribe boy ran over to me. "I'm sorry, about earlier I didn't mean to be rough on you, it's just that-"

I cut him off. "I get it, really, it's fine."

He smiled at me. "Sokka."

"Nico."

"Will I see you again?" Sokka asks.

I smiled. "Yeah, I think you will."

I left the shop and boarded onto the ship.

"What took you so long?" My father asked.

I strugged. "Uh, traffic?"

"Did you at least get any good food?"

I handed him the bags of food, except for the crabs and berries, those were mine.

My dad smiled at the food. "Good job, kiddo."

I smiled. "Let's get moving, we got an Avatar to capture."