Chapter 12- The Depart

In the middle of the streets in an Earth Kingdom village, Nico, Zuko and Iroh, sat on a straw mat with the ostrich horse, while Iroh begged for money.

Never in Nico's life has she ever been so embarrassed. All her life, Nico was brought up to achieve greatness and success, not begging for money in the middle of a village.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked a man who passes by.

The man shrugs, throwing a few coppers into Iroh's hat.

"This is humiliating." Zuko yells.

"I'll say," Nico sighs, feeling a bit itchy.

"We're royalty. These people should be giving us whatever we want." Zuko finishes.

"They will," Iroh says. "If you ask nicely."

A young woman with nice clothing passed by.

"Spare change for a hungry old man?"

"Aw, here you go." The woman said dropping a copper into Iroh's hat.

"The coin is appreciated but not as much as your smile."

The woman giggles checking Nico out.

"Aw, here's a few coppers for your son and his pregnant girlfriend." The woman says, tossing a few more coppers into Iroh's hat.

Nico gasped. "Pregnant!" She then turned to Zuko. "Do I look pregnant?!"

"Relax," Zuko says. "I stuffed a few straws up your shirt while you were sleeping, I thought you'd notice."

Nico sighed, giving Zuko an annoyed look.

A man stops in front of them. "How about some entertainment in exchange for a gold piece?"

"We're not performers," Nico scoffs.

"Not professional, anyways." Iroh got up and began singing.

"It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city, they look so pretty."

The man cut Iroh off. "Not that kind of entertainment," and winked at Nico.

Nico shuttered as Zuko wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him and then placing his hand on Nico's stomach.

"That's my wife, you're winking at," Zuko snarked. "And she's pregnant."

The man rolled his eyes. "Come on we're talking a gold piece here. Let's see some action." He said, taking out his swords and swinging them at Iroh's feet. "Dance."

"They kiss so sweet that you really have to meet the girls from Ba Sing Se."

Nico could feel Zuko's anger from beside her, so she grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly, reassuring him everything would be alright.

The man laughed. "Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner. Here you go." He said, tossing the gold piece in the hat.

As the man walked away, Nico quickly but forcibly sunk the man into the ground with her bending.

She smiled and looked back at Zuko and Iroh like nothing had happened.

"Such a kind man." Iroh smiles.

"Indeed." Nico smirks.

❆ ❆ ❆

Zuko enters the cave that the trio were temporarily staying at as he placed some goods down.

"Where did you get these?" Nico asked, gobbling down the pastries. "Never mind, don't tell me. These are delicious."

Zuko chuckled. "I'm glad you like them."

Iroh eyed the place. "Looks like you did some serious shopping. But where did you get the money?"

"Do you like your new teapot?" Zuko asked, avoiding the question.

"To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot, or a tin cup. I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."

Nico groans as Iroh says honor.

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar." Zuko says.

"Zuko." Iroh sighs. "Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."

"Then there is no hope at all."

Nico stuffs her face with the goods as she watches the scene unfold.

"No, Zuko!" Iroh says. "You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and your surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Zuko looks at his uncle but slips away out of his grip, walking away.

Later on, Nico helps Iroh pack for the next destination but Zuko stopped them.

"Uncle," he said. "I thought a lot about what you said."

"You did," Iroh beams. "Good, good."

"It's helped me realize something. We no longer have anything to gain by traveling together."

"I need to find my own way." Zuko continues, picking up his bag. "And Nico's coming with me."

"I am?"

"Yeah, you are." Zuko said, grabbing Nico's hand as they walked away.

"Wait," Iroh called out and handed his nephew the ostrich horse.

"I'm sorry." Nico mouths to Iroh, as she jumps on the ostrich.

"We will meet soon." Iroh mouths back.

Zuko whipped the reins as the ostrich ran away.