Chapter 16- The Pai Sho Board

A few days later, the trio were riding on the ostrich horse.

From behind her, Nico could hear Iroh's gagging and groaning.

"Maybe we should make camp?" Zuko suggested.

"No, please," Iroh said. "Don't stop just for me."

He then began to moan and dramatically wail in pain.

Nico swatted Iroh away from her, as he was wailing in her ear.

With a huff, Zuko angrily stopped the horse, stopping for a break.

"Uh, ooh, huh." Iroh groaned, slowly sitting on a rock.

Suddenly, the horse whips its head to a direction. Zuko following along, with a defensive position.

"What now?" Iroh says, clearly annoyed.

A herd of rhinos burst from the trees. On top were five men, that looked quiet familiar to Nico.

"Colonel Mongke, what a pleasant surprise." Iroh said.

"If you're surprised we're here, then the dragon of the west has lost a few steps." Said one the men.

"You know these guys?" Zuko asks.

"Sure," Iroh responds. "Colonel MongKe the rough rhinos are legendary. Each one is different kind of weapon specialist."

Nico eyed the men.

"They are also a very capable singing group." Iroh finished.

"We're not here to give a concert!" Mongke exclaimed. "We're here to apprehend fugitives."

"Would you like some tea first?" Iroh asked. "I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? I make you as a jasmine man. Am I right?"

Nico gave a side glare to Zuko, who only shrugged in response.

"Enough stalling," Mongke shouted. "Round 'em up!"

The group began to attack, arrows were thrown at Nico and Zuko, but Nico bended a rock shield, hurling it at the opponent.

Iroh quickly grabbed Nico's wrist, taking her back to the ostrich horse. Zuko jumped off the rhino and smoothly flipped onto the back of the ostrich.

"It's nice to see old friends." Iroh lightly said.

"Too bad you don't have any old friends that don't want to attack you." Zuko said.

"Mhm," Iroh thought. "Old friends that don't want to attack me?"

Nico let out a laugh as Zuko slapped her head from behind.

❆ ❆ ❆

Iroh brought the pair into an oasis.

"No one here is gonna help." Zuko scrawled. "These people just look like filthy wanderers."

"So do we." Nico reminded.

"I think I've found our friend." Iroh pointed at an old man.

Nico raised an eyebrow. "Our friend?"

"You brought us here to gamble on Pai Sho?" Zuko asked with a tint of anger.

"I don't think this is a gamble." Iroh said, getting up and walking over to the old man, with Zuko and Nico, following close behind.

"May I have this game?" Iroh asked.

Nico eyed the old man, he was sort of cute, in an old person way.

"The guests have the first move." The old man said.

As Iroh sat down, he immediately placed a lotus tile in the center of the board.