Prologue

A scream echoed throughout the room. A scream that belonged to me.

"Breathe. Breathe. Like this." The nurse started breathing heavily, and I tried copying her rhythm. I screamed again as I had another contraction. "Okay, your doing great. Now push!"

I pushed, the nurse guiding me. "Push. Push! Don't forget your breathing!"

I screamed and gave one final push. The nurse removed a bloodied baby. "A beautiful girl."

I screamed again and she looked at me in surprise. She handed the baby to a second nurse, who left to clean her up. I screamed.

"Breathe!" The nurse yelled at me. "Push!"

What? Then the contraction hit again.

"Push!" Soon, the nurse was holding a second baby. "Congratulations. You have twin girls."

The other nurse returned with the child and took her twin in surprise.

"I'll go clean her up." She mumbled.

Soon she returned and both babies were handed to me, wrapped in blankets. I looked at them both. Both were beautiful, yet not identical, although similar. One, her eyes were like jade and she had little bits of hair on her head, hair as dark as his. The other, the firstborn, shared her sister's hair colour but as she opened her eyes, I noticed she looked the most like him. She had the dark eyes he once possessed before he changed. Oh god.

"Take her." The nurses looked at me in confusion. "Take her please!"

The nurse obeyed.

"Why Alexandra?" She whispered in my ear.

"I need a second to prepare myself." She looked down at the baby and nearly screamed. I smiled sadly. "The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it?"

The nurse, who was in fact my dear sister Marguerite, knew of their father. Luckily, the other nurse did not know. I was merely a patient to her, and a strange one.

"I'll take her out for a moment." Marguerite left the room with my first born child, leaving me with the second born and the muggle nurse. Marguerite was only gone for two minutes when the door opened. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, ready to see my child. Accept her. I knew already that I loved her, it is not her fault she resembles her father. I opened my eyes and screamed. For there, in all his horrible glory, was the girls' father.

"How dare you!" He yelled, marching over. The muggle nurse yelled in surprise, horrified. The man I once loved took out his wand and pointed it at her. "Avada Kadavra!"

The nurse dropped dead, her eyes but glassy orbs. He turned towards me, and saw the child.

"So that's why you left." He whispered to himself. I clutched the baby close to me in fear.

"You shall not harm her." I said defiantly, although I knew I would soon have that wand pointed on me.

He smiled cruelly. "A child? Pity she is a girl. But that doesn't matter. Give her to me."

"No."

His eyes narrowed. Never does anyone refuse him and live. "I'm warning you."

I blinked in surprise, was he giving me a second chance? He never gave anyone a second chance. "I'm sorry. I can't let you hurt her."

"I will not hurt her. She shall live."

Again I was taken by surprise. I expected him to kill the children and me without a second thought. But it ends up my other theory was coming to pass instead, one just as horrible as our deaths. He would make them just like him. As much as I loved him, as much as I love him still, I couldn't allow that. "You can't have her. My children shall not be like you."

"Alexandra? I know you do love me. Than why not have our child like me?" He said, almost sadly. Yet he does not know sadness.

"No. Never."

"Give me the girl." He said, his voice becoming an all too familiar angry tone. His eyes made me flinch; they were the thing about him I hated most. His dark, cold, pitiless eyes of evil.

"No." He lifted his wand to my forehead and muttered a curse. "Imperio."

For the third time, I was taken by surprise. It was not Avada Kadavra or Crucio like I expected. He barely used this curse to get what he wanted for it caused no harm. But my body moved under the influence of his wand, handing him the baby.

"Alexandra, come now." He said, walking out of the room with the child. My legs automatically followed.

"I don't want to!"

He turned on me. "I do not care what you want! You are coming with me. Now!"

"No!"

 "Fine." He said, releasing me from the curse. "Crucio." I fell on the floor, twitching with pain as he walked out with our daughter. And for the first time ever, the Dark Lord did not kill someone who had angered him.