Niceness

Draco's POV

Something was wrong. I must have banged my head. Or my injury is affecting my brain. Because this wasn't possible.

I was talking to a Gryffindor.

And I wasn't making fun of her. We were actually talking, and having a conversation.

I was laughing with a Gryffindor.

Yea, you heard me. I was laughing with a Gryffindor. Not at a Gryffindor. And, horror of horrors, I was befriending a Gryffindor.

I must have banged my head hard.

Because this wasn't possible. But I guess it was because 'Pan', as they call her, reminded me of old-Alex. The kinda-nice-Alex, the one who lived in my house. The one always hidden, and using a spider she had found in out basement as a secret playmate because she could not play with other children.

Hard to believe the same girl almost killed me.

But, in a way, it wasn't so hard to believe. She had her secret pet when she was eleven, because she was lonely, but also because she knew she had to be cruel to people. Sh zapped anyone who threatened her, scared her or angered her. She spent her time in the basement or practicing some small amounts of dark magic she had learned before coming. She was a lot like her father, but not as close as she was now. She was slightly kinder back then, because she was raised by her nurse. Her nurse, although I have never met her, is kinder than the Dark Lord- and that I knew without a doubt. Everyone was kinder than him.

But, as the years went by, Alex gradually became Malfoy-kind. Still mean, but a whole lot nicer than before. We had become friends during her second year at my house, probably due to he extreme loneliness.

Pan made me think of old-Alex, even if she was a lot nicer than old-Alex. But my thoughts must have summoned her, because she swept in just as visiting hours started. She was carrying a bundle, and dropped it on my bed. "The Nurse ordered me to bring you a shirt."

It was the only thing she said before turning to Pandora and sitting on her bed, back turned to me. She had just started talking when Potter and the blood-traitor walked in, homing in on Pan. They stopped when they saw me. "Malfoy."

"Potter." I spat back. Pan looked between the two of us.

"Be nice!"

"But it's Malfoy!" Ron protested.

"So what?"

"Well... We hate him."

Her eyes widened. "Why?"

"He's a slimy git! He's a bloody jerk! Always running his mouth, always hating us Gryffindors because of his stupid prejudices. He doesn't have a speck of kindness in his black heart-"

"That's enough Ron." Everyone turned astonished eyes to Pandora, who was sitting straight with her arms crossed and her eyebrows frowning.

"Huh?" He replied quite dumbly.

"Draco has been nothing but nice to me- a Gryffindor- all day. He hasn't been a slimy git or a bloody jerk for even a second. So I will not take another minute of hearing insults towards someone who has done nothing wrong."

Everyone stared from her to me and back again, their heads rotating slowly. "He's been nice? To a Gryffindor?" Ron squeaked out.

"Yes, so I want you to be nice too, at least while I'm here."

There was a pause, and then Harry did something that surprised me. He nodded. "Alright."

"While your here," Ron agreed, shooting a dangerous look at me that read 'Just wait until she's gone.'

"Not like I know him anyways." Alex commented nonchalantly. She seemed so believable, that it even sent a pang of hurt through me.

Niceness. Hurt. Man, I really must have hit my head.

Granger walked in, looking a bit hustled and out of breath. "Sorry I'm late, I- Malfoy?"

"Mudblood," I nodded in mock acknowledgement.

"Hey! The niceness thing gies for you too!" Pan snapped.

The Mudblood approached, confused. "What's happening?"

"Well, that's simple." Ron stated. "Pan has turned into an evil she-dragon who is forcing us into all being nice at the risk of her fiery breath- Ow!" He rubbed his head where Pandora had banged him. As if nothing happened, she turns towards Hermione with a smile.

"I'm just ending rivalries."

"And Malfoy agreed to this?"

"No, I didn't you stupid Mudbloo-Ow!" Pandora had reached over and slapped me. Stupid git.

"Draco will be nice as long as I'm here."

"Whatever." I mumbled. "Just get your visiting over quickly. I'd like to sleep."

Madame Pomphrey came out then, and headed towards us. "Well," She began talking to Pandora, ignoring the others. "I can't find the cause, and you don't have any medical condition. So you should be fine, and you're free to go."

"Yes!" Pandora cheered, jumping out of the bed. "Let's go guys!" She began running towards the door, excited to be free. "Bye Draco!" She called before leaving with Harry and company. Leaving me alone. And, of course, Alex didn't even look at me when leaving.

Pan's POV

I'm free! I finally get to enjoy my 'first' day of classes at Hogwarts! Well, tommorow I'll get too, since today's are done.

"I'm starved. She fed me nothing but oatmeal. Let's eat. It's dinner time, right?"

"Yeah. Finally, a girl who speaks my language. Let's eat."

"Seriously Ronald, you can be such a pig." Hermione scolded.

"Going somewhere?" A voice came from behind us, and I turned to see a teacher standing there. He had ching lenght hair and a large nose, I remembered him from the day I arrived. I wondered if he was one of my teachers.

"To the Hall, to eat."

"I think you're forgetting something, Miss Blacksward."

"I am?"

"Your detention." He drawled.

"Oh! You must be Prof. Snape! Yes, Hermione told me I had a detention with you, when is it?"

He seemed very confused, and I suspected he was.

"Sir," Hermione began. "Let me explain. Pandora has been in the hospital for the last two days with a case of amnesia."

"Your excuses really are pathetic Miss Granger. Do you want another detention?"

"She's telling the truth!" I protested. "Even ask Madame Pomfrey."

"Fine." He sneered. "I'll amuse you. But your detention is tomorrow at lunch."