Snakes

Pandora’s POV

I stood on the steps, stunned, even after Alex left; all because of that snake, that beautiful snake. My Mother and Aunt had never warned me against animals like it, and, instead of going up to send my letter, I returned back to the dorms. I sat at one of the common room’s many desks and added another line to my letter. It was a one page letter, filled both sides with barely enough room for my new sentence.

P.S. Mom, Auntie, I think I’m going insane.

I went up and attached the letter to Tyto, sending the owl on it’s way. What a smart creature.

The next morning, Hermione came to my bed to wake me, surprised when she saw I was already awake. I had had a fitful night, and had woken hours ago. At breakfast, Alex sat next to us, but I was too afraid to mention her snake in front of the others; what if I was just going crazy?

We joked around and laughed as we went to Charms class, and I leaned a few of the basics.

“You did really well in charms class for a beginner!” Ron stated, smiling widely. I blushed.

“You think so? I did manage to break a cup though… And hit the professeur in the head when my levitation spell stopped half way…”

“Still better than my first day; I couldn’t get it off the table!”

“Thanks guys.” They are too nice, being supportive and all. I really hoped I could be their friends…

I had my next class with Hermione. “Hermione?”

“Hmm?”

“Is it… Is it possible for snakes to…” We walked into the class, a an ugly professeur stared at us. “Your late.”

“Sorry Proffeseur Snape.” Snape? It sent a chill through me, it sounded too munch like snake.

“Hmm, perhaps you shall have to…” With a gust of wind, Alex blew into the class, her Slytherin robes somehow catching the light and making the little snake shine. “You’re also late. All of you shall have detention later.”

Detention? On my first day?

Alex took a step forward, her eyes flashing dangerously. “Are you sure you want to do that? I wonder if he’ll be pleased by you sending a Valguard to detention.”

“My word is final, Miss Valguard. Now sit.”

She sneered dangerously and sat down. Hermione and I followed, sitting beside each other. “I wonder what that was about…” She said.

“I don’t know, but can snakes-”

“Miss Granger and Miss…”

“Blacksward.”

“Regardless of whom you are, no talking in class.”

Class continued, and I brewed my first potion; a Pepperup Potion. And yet, as I mixed the Mandrake root into the liquid, I glanced up with the oddest feeling of being watched. Nearby, a pale blond-headed boy was staring at me. Curious, I smiled, which made his eyes hastily dart back to his Bicorn Horn, which he was stirring into the potion. I turned my attention back to my potion and soon the class ended. “Don’t forget your detention.” Snape’s voice called as I left with Hermione and Alex. Before I could ask my question, the blond haired boy walked up to us. Both Hermione and Alex narrowed their eyes. “What do you want Malfoy?” Hermione asked coldly.

 “I need to talk to her.” He said, pointing at Alex.

“It’s your choice Alex, but I suggest you don’t go.”

“Shut up Granger!” Malfoy snapped. “It’s an important Slytherin matter! No Gryffindor’s business.”

“I’ll go.” Alex said, her angry eyes never once leaving Malfoy’s face. “But maybe next time he’ll have the brains to wait till later.” Alex and Malfoy walked off, and yet he kept casting looks over his shoulder at me as he left.

“Urg, darned Malfoy, always sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong. One day it’ll get punched. Again.” She smiled at some memory.

“Um, Hermione?”

She snapped out of her reverie. “Yes?”

“Can…  Can snakes talk?”

“No, why would you ask something like that?”

“Well, a snake, well, you know…”

“I’m waiting.”

“It well, one talked to me.”

“It did what?”

“Well, I bumped into Alex, you see, and I noticed she had a snake. And the snake climbed onto my arm and started speaking.

“Oh my. Oh my. We should see Dumbledore, yes. He’ll want to know. Oh my. Oh my. Never. Never two at once. Never.” Hermione rambled on, scaring me. What happened to the cool, composed, intellectual Hermione I have come to know? She grabbed my hand and dragged me along to a statue, mumbling a nonsense word. To my extreme surprise, it moved aside, revealing a staircase. We reached the top, and she knocked on the large doors.

“Come in.” Came a frail, old voice.

We entered into a gorgeous room, and a beautiful red bird squawked a hello. “I see Fawkes likes you.” A man said, as he came into view. The first thing I noticed was his long beard, than the wizard hat. The old man had a twinkle in his eye, however cheesy that sounds, and had half-moon spectacles. “Hello Hermione. Hello dear, I don’t believe we’ve met. I am Albus Dumbledore. You must be the new child.”

“Pandora.”

“Ah yes, our newest addition. Welcome to Hogwarts dear.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Now Hermione, I can tell by your fidgeting that you have something to say?”

“Professor Dumbledore, I think Pandora’s a parslemouth.”

“Oh dear…”