Death in the cemetery

Ronnie would be lying if he said he wasn't afraid to die, he was. But out of all the nightmares he could muster up in his imagination about the possible terrible ways he could go, dying a slow death in a hospital bed, shot at work or even a car accident we're all possible and all of these things would still terrify him now but they will be more realistic than the situation he was in now. Having his life flash before his eyes whilst searching for some comfort in the eyes of someone he loved but couldn't see with a zombie on his arm about to rip everything away from him. 

It was only milliseconds but he thought about everything in his life and the choices he had made and all the choices that he could've made, the life he could've had with Zoe or the life he could've had if he left Centerville. But weirdly, he made peace knowing that in the end, he had a good one with people who care about him and in the brief time it's been romantic he had Zoe but she had been a best friend to him also and that he treasured. Then sadness the fact that he probably would never be able to tell her everything she'd done for him made his heartbreak. As the burn and pain started it took him back to reality and his time slowly sped back up to normal as he flinches to look down at what he expected to be his torn flesh spilling blood or it missing. But he was just quick enough to see that same zombie's head leaving its shoulders. On his arm, a cut and which was bleeding but it wasn't a bite it was way to clean. He came back to reality and looked up and saw Zoe chest heaving bloodshot eyes screaming and holding her axe.

"RONNIE!!" she ran up to him shaking him from his disorientated state. He looked down at her then his bleeding arm. "We're even now yeah ?" she tried to smile but fear was evident in her face. He panted and smiled "nearly took my arm off jack" he shouted swinging for a zombie nearby. "Jack?" She also swung making them currently back to back he rolled his eyes and said "Here's Johnny!" as she laughed probably looking insane but hiding their fear with humour before returning their attention to the still-growing horde. Cliff ran up to them so they were all in a circle fighting but the swarm was closing in and their time looked like it was well and truly up. "Ok lovebirds I'm out" he shouted as he started using his shotgun as a bat as he'd run out of bullets. "What do we do?" Zoey shouted starting to panic "we gave it our best I guess"Ronnie replied looking around solemnly taking a defensive stance to look back at his two colleagues. The horde started to close in faster so they all started fighting faster but ultimately going down the sound of the zombies was too much and neither of them could hear each other anymore when a large red light shot up into the sky from the forest and exploded like a firework. The swarm stopped and looked up, stopping advancing on the trio. Another shot fired up exploding as all the zombies started to walk towards the forest to its source. "What was that?" Zoe called Ronnie. "It looked like a flare" he called back "who the fuck has a flair?" She panted catching her breath she was covered in blood and other black substances from the zombies. "Hermit Bob..." they heard as a grunt from Cliff. They both turned to Cliff seeing him crouched down holding his stomach which was bleeding... A lot. "Cliff" Zoe ran to support him. "That's not good" Ronnie slowly walked up to them both staring not sure what to do. "Yeh one got me good I think" he started to sit and Zoe helped him rest his back on a tombstone. His face was growing paler and the colour from his cheeks and lips was almost gone. 

"What can we do" Zoe croaked trying to hold back tears. "If we put pressure on it maybe it will" Zoey started before Ronnie crouched next to her solemnly shaking his head. "It's a bite, whatever's making them like this is in his system now, I'm sorry Cliff" he let his head drop he felt helpless, Cliff was always a good friend and role model to him and he could do anything to save him. "No it's fine, it's my time" Cliff nodded getting as comfortable as he could. "But I'd rather not come back as one of them, can one of you help me here?". Zoe's teary eyes looked up at Cliff furrowing as she tried to understand what he meant when it dawned on her when Cliff lightly tapped the gun holster on her hip. "You mean?" She gasped as he nodded and smiled at her. "I hate to ask you but I'm not coming back from this and I want this to be it, I wanna still be me" Zoe slowly took out her gun tears streaming down her face she held it and stared at it for a minute how was she meant to shoot him? It was a mercy to her friend of course but could she bring herself to do it. "I don't know if I can," she said not moving her eyes from her handgun. "Ronnie...please" Cliff groaned. Ronnie looked up at him not speaking. "Cliff, I don't know" Ronnie started to make an excuse before Cliff continued "I'd rather go out as me then one of them ok?" He sighed. "Ok Cliff..." Ronnie stuttered and reached for Zoe's gun.