Can you hear me.?

Zoe's stomach dropped, that was a voice a real human voice. "Ronnie!" she yelped making him look at her in confusion clearly he'd missed it.

"I heard someone" she started desperately flicking through again even quicker to find the signal. "Are you sure?" he started to get down off the ladder and crouched near her.

"You gotta believe me I swear". Ronnie gave her a sympathetic look like he felt sorry for her he thought maybe she wanted for others to
be out there soo bad shed imagined it "Zoe maybe it was just the static" he placed a hand on her knee rubbing it comfortingly.

Her eyes snapped to his and he'd never seen such rage behind them.
"I'm not stupid I heard someone" she snapped.

Ronnie was just about to speak up again when he was cut out by a voice, a male voice "can you hear me? Hello anybody" well that clearly wasn't Zoe or her imagination because if it was he was going crazy too.

"Shit" Ronnie snatched the radio and put it to his ear.

"Can we respond!?" Zoe was panicking there were others they weren't alone maybe they were in danger and were calling out for aid and needed help.

"The microphones back in the room" Ronnie handed her back the radio and bolted to the door.

As she waited for him to return all she could do was chant  "please stay on the line just a minute longer".
What if they gave up!?.

Ronnie ran back out like a tornado holding the microphone and with shaky hands plugged it in. "Hello? we can hear you can you hear us?" he panted into it not even giving himself time to catch his breath.

Nothing.

"Hello does anyone copy?" he tried again.

Nothing.

Zoe could have cried they were there why was no one replying? Did something happen?.

"This is Officer Ronald Peterson with Centreville PD is anybody there?" Zoe could tell he was getting desperate maybe they were too late? Maybe they really did need help and didn't have enough time to wait for an answer.

Was he too slow to respond?

"They have to hear us" Zoe whispered.

"Try another frequency or something" Ronnie said to Zoe  gesturing with his hands. She flipped the dial once again.

Ronnie pressed the button and called out.

Dead air.

He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes in defeat. Fuck! they were too close.

Zoe grabbed the mic and switched the frequency "please we heard you are you still there?hello?" she squeaked feeling like her throat was on fire.

Ronnie stood and paced hands on his hips.

"I should have had the microphone this is my fault, they might have needed help" she put down the microphone as she also rubbed her face in frustration feeling tears quickly filling her eyes.

Ronnie sighed and crouched down again next to her he could let this go without a fight he had to try. Seeing Zoe soo defeated gave him the encouragement to tr again and he took the microphone back.

"Hello this is Officer Peterson can anybody read me?".

Zoe had lost hope,she never realised how much a small voice could give them and now it was gone.

"Hello? We read you"

Both of them jumped at the sudden voice coming from the speaker.
"Ah hello, this is Ronnie Peterson who is this?".

"This is Charlie, Charlie Barber where are you? Are you safe? How many of you are there?".

Ronnie's heart was beating through his chest there were survivors actual people living and breathing there was hope and they weren't alone it had been soo long since they'd heard living people.

"Were safe there's two of us me and my... (shit) C-C-Colleague Zoe, we're located in Centreville we've made a secure base in the motel on the outskirts of town"

Shit, Ronnie thought seeing Zoe flinch at the title of
colleague they'd never really had a chance to put a title in what they were, not that they needed to. He felt put on the spot to do it now.

"There's 6 of us, were a couple of towns over we're safe too for now but our base was compromised we need shelter and quick".

Zoe was silent trying to take everything in there were others and a lot of them, who knows how many more besides but they needed help .

"Your welcome here if you can make it the motel has rooms and water and we've built a secure blockade around us you should be safe here and are welcome we're happy to hear there are more survivors than us.

"Thank-you we'll starts the journey immediately and hopefully if all goes well we should be with you in around 3 days, we'll keep this Chanel open for as long as our battery power allows, we'll hopefully see you soon Officers".

Ronnie and Zoe stopped to
breaths and just stared at one another people were coming they wouldn't be alone in three days they'd be back with actual
Humans again.
So why were they soo scared?.