Chapter Fourteen: In Love

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: I Love You by Laureline

Chloe's P.O.V.

"What the hell is going on here? Rachel Amber?" My mother's shrill voice woke Rachel and I up.

Rachel and I shared a worried look then looked at my mother.

"Surprise?" I said weakly, almost more of a question than a statement. My mom's jaw was practically on the floor.

"It's so nice to see you again Joyce." Rachel stood up quickly and straightened her shirt. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

"Yeah, you could say that." My mother was still in shock. "You're...you're supposed to be dead."

"But she isn't." I grinned at my mom who kept a shocked, confused look on her face.

"Look, why don't we all go sit down at the dining table and I'll explain everything." Rachel cautiously walked over to Joyce. She slowly placed her hand on my mom's arm and led her down the stairs, motioning for me to follow.

                         x-x-x

"So you were in Portland this entire time?" Joyce asked, dumbfounded.

Rachel and I had told her everything, well almost everything. We didn't tell her about Damon, because she would lose her fucking shit, and would insist on telling the police.

"Yes. I didn't remember until a few weeks ago. I had done some research and I had some memory loss from my head injury." Rachel explained.

My mom grabbed Rachel's hands tightly in her own and squeezed them. "Oh god, this is shocking but I'm so glad you're okay. I was so worried about you when you were missing and when I found out what had happened-" her voice wavered.

"It's alright, I'm here now and he's in jail." Rachel said with a reassuring smile.

"Is there anything else you want answered?" I asked as I leaned back in my chair.

"Yes, a lot! Does Max know?"

"She does. Max is lovely." Rachel replied with a small smile.

"She is." My mom smiled back. "Why don't you want to tell anyone? What about your parents?"

Rachel let out an exasperated sigh. "Everyone thinks I'm dead. It's best to just leave it that way. They've already grieved over me, now imagine me just reentering their lives again. They'd lose their shit.
And I don't want a relationship with James anyway."

My mom sat for a moment, a thoughtful expression on her tired face. I kinda felt bad for springing all this on her, she already had so much to worry about. But at least now she'd be able to see Rachel again, because Rachel was like another daughter to her.

"I guess I can see why you'd feel that way." My mother nodded in understanding. "That doesn't mean I agree with it. If that happened to Chloe-" she paused to shiver. "I would do anything to see her."

"It's just easier this way." Rachel smiled sadly. Her hazel eyes were filled with pain. I knew she still hadn't forgiven her father for his betrayal. I don't blame her, I wouldn't either. Keeping Sera from Rachel and treating her like a child- dick move.

"But mom- look at me." I said to her. She turned to face me.

"You can't tell douchey David. At all." I stressed the word can't for emphasis and looked her in the eyes.

"Chloe, you're a grown woman, and he's your stepfather. His name is David, so call him by it!" Joyce sternly scolded me.

I rolled my eyes. "Alright just don't tell fucking David."

Joyce hesitated, then let out a sigh. "Alright, I won't tell him. But you girls need to be more careful with him around."

"We'll be very careful." Rachel smirked and shared a look with me. I could feel my face start to burn a little, and I could tell that my face was now beet red. My mother seemed to notice but didn't say anything.

"So uh, last question, I promise. Are you girls...together?" Mom asked us, a small knowing smile on her face.

I began to hesitate, thinking of how to answer the question. I mean, we were, weren't we? But Rachel jumped to it before I could even finish my thought. "Yes, we're dating." She said as she laced her fingers through mine.

Joyce laughed. "I always knew you two would end up together."

"So did I." Rachel grinned happily and rested her head against my shoulder. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer instinctively. For a moment, all of the pain and chaos was gone, and it was just us. In love, and happy.

"I guess we don't need to be as secretive anymore." I said to her as my mom fumbled around in the kitchen cooking up some dinner.

"I guess not. It was kind of fun while it lasted though, wasn't it?" She laughed and it made me fill with a comforting warmth inside. Rachel had that effect on people, especially me. I nodded in response.

"Hey, don't you think you should check to see who called earlier? If it was Max it could be important." She asked, slipping out of my arm to straighten her shirt.

"No, it's fine. I'll check when I go out for a smoke. If it was Max, it was probably just her calling to check and see if we got home safely." I explained and shook my head.

"If the junkyard queen says so, it must be true." She teased and poked my arm.

"You better believe it." I replied with a big grin. It had felt like I had smiled more this day than I had ever before.

After that there was lots of hugs, tears and stories, and my mom made sure to cook lots of food for us. Mainly for Rachel, who had been living off of ramen noodles for the past few months but I of course intercepted some of it. But things were normal again, and we were happy, and together. Everything felt right.