Chapter Ten: Trio

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: Bros by Wolf Alice

Max's P.O.V

"You have gotta check it out Max, it's sick." Warren grinned excitedly, opening his arms widely.

"I promise we'll go when we have time. Rach- Chloe and I are....working on something right now, so my time is pretty consumed, but it does sound awesome." I assured him.

An observatory had opened up a few minutes away from town, and Warren went last week. He was currently trying to convince me to go with him someday. I bet I'd get a lot of good photographs there.

"Alright." He said and sat back down beside me on the edge of the fountain. "Did you do the algebra homework?"

I groaned with distaste. "Yes, and it sucked. That shit was hard."

Last night I had stayed up until two in the morning trying to figure out how to do that homework. Lately with everything going on, I hadn't been able to focus on my work, which sucked. But Rachel was safe, and Chloe was happy, and that's all that mattered to me.

"It was a bit difficult even for me, but I got it. If you ever need a study buddy, or a tutor, I'm here to help." Warren smiled. He was such a sweet guy, and a good friend.

"I'd like that, yeah." I returned his smile.

Warren pulled his phone out of the back pocket of his oversized blue jeans and checked the time. "Well it was nice talking to you, but I offered to help Ms. Grant set up for a big experiment for tomorrow, so I gotta go. Don't be a stranger Max." Warren said as he stood up.

"Goodbye Warren." I gave him a quick wave goodbye with one hand, while I grabbed my phone and earbuds in the other.

I plugged my earbuds into my phone, and turned on some music. A soft, lilting guitar tune filled my ears, and I sat and listened while I waited for the bus to show up and take me to meet Chloe and Rachel.

After a few minutes, the big yellow bus pulled up and I gathered my things and walked to the bus.

The driver was a heavyset man with a thick black beard, and skin the colour of cocoa. His name was Phil, and he was an extremely nice man. He often greeted me whenever I saw him around time.

"Hey-o Max." He greeted me cheerily and tipped his hat.

"Hi Phil," I responded politely before wandering off to the midsection of the bus to sit down in my usual spot.

It was a bright, cheerful day outside. The sun was beating down on the ground, and there was more foot traffic than usual. After all of the events that happened a few months ago, this was really uncommon. It always seemed as if everyone was mourning something or someone, or everyone was just suspicious overall.

"Max, I think this is your stop." Phil called out, snapping me out of my fixation on my outer surroundings.

"It is. Thanks Phil." I said as I stepped out.

"Goodbye, Max." He responded, then closed the door behind him and drove off.

The closest the bus route got to Chloe's house was a gas station on the street corner that Chloe and I always got snacks from with our allowance when we were young. It was about a three-minute walk away from her house.

I walked to Chloe's house in the familiar neighbourhood, scoping out anything I could photograph. I didn't find anything, but I did reach Chloe's house.

I knocked on the front door, but no one answered. That meant David wasn't home, and Joyce was working. Chloe would never be awake this early in the morning, AKA eleven AM.