Chapter Twelve: Overload

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: Empty by PVRIS

Nathan's P.O.V

With a sigh I collapsed onto my couch, brown beer bottle in hand. Ever since Max and Chloe came to my house I was on edge. I tried to leave that life behind, and forget about it, but I always knew one day it'd come back to haunt me, other than the nightmares that I suffered from almost every damn night.

In the nightmares all of my least favourite memories returned in twisted variations. Sweet Kate Marsh would shout and scream at me, tears streaming down her face before she jumped off of the Blackwell dormitory. Of course Kate was still alive, but the fact that she almost wasn't because of me haunted me. I'd be in the dark room, and Mark Jefferson would be there degrading me while all of the angry girls who we had photographed in there hurdled towards me. Even Kelly would crawl up from her grave, decayed and covered in dirt, beckon a bony finger at me and snarl "You did this to me." Then I'd jolt awake in a cold sweat and wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. It was a repeating cycle; the guilt never vanished as I had hoped it would.

Other than that though, things were getting better here in my new life. Dad had hooked me up with a job in a photography studio, I had some friends, my mental health had improved quite a lot and there was girl I really, really liked. This life was a lie, but I liked it more than my real one.

There was one thing I missed though; Victoria Chase. She was my best friend, but even if she did know me now, she'd probably hate me for what I did to Rachel, Kate and all of those other girls. It's just something I have to live with, and it's shitty.

I drank my beer as I looked over some pictures I had taken, trying to decide on a proper filter. Legally, I shouldn't be allowed to drink because I'm a minor, but Arthur Bennington-he's twenty-three. That's one of the few perks of running away from your life and gaining a new identity.

My phone began to buzz and I answered it, closing my computer lid so I could focus on the call.

"Arthur Bennington here, how can I help you?" I answered, not bothering to check who it is.

"Arthur, no need for formal greetings; it's Kayla." A familiar, bubbly voice replied, making me smile.

Kayla was the girl I really liked. She was super sweet and pretty, and she kind of reminded me of Samantha, from back home. I met her when I first started working at the studio. She was an editor there.

"Oh, hey Kayla." I replied happily.

"I hope you don't mind, but I'm on my way over, I'm bringing some pizza."

"Oh. Alright." I replied calmly, although internally I was freaking out. Since Chloe had busted up my face, I had stayed home from work so people would avoid asking questions. Kayla, although very sweet, was very nosy and would get worried easily. I had to find something so cover up my wounds.

"I'll see you soon!" She said.

"Yep. Bye." I hung up quickly and ran to the bathroom. In the mirror, my right eye was blue and bruised, and a little bit swollen. A small cut was to the side of it. My nose was a bigger issue; it was a purple-y red colour and also swollen. It wasn't broken, but messed up pretty badly. My hair hung in my face so I brushed it back; I was still getting used to my black hair. My dad had suggested changing me up a bit so it'd be easier to disguise myself. He meant plastic surgery, but I wouldn't budge. We finally agreed on a new hair colour. Sometimes I'd look in the mirror and scare myself for a moment, but it was better than having to look at the old Nathan everyday; the old Nathan who was responsible for so many awful, fucked up things.

"I've gotta have something to cover it up." I muttered as I rummaged through the sink drawer. I found a tube of concealer and foundation from when my sister visited, which had only been once and she stayed for a week. She was a great person, unlike me, a sack of shit. The concealer and foundation weren't exact to my skin tone, but they were close enough so I applied it the best I could. It wasn't too bad, but Kayla would definitely notice that something was up.