Chapter Six: Dawn

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: Beside You by Marianas Trench

Max's P.O.V

Chloe was alarmingly angry, to the point where she was silent, and radiated anger. Every time I tried to speak to her, she turned her punk music up louder, so I just gave up and read for a while, until it got too dark to read, so I just stared out of the windshield at the rainy, bleak sky. I wanted to be there for her, but she wouldn't let me.

"Why the fuck'd you have to go and leave me? Those tears aren't gonna make me forgiving." Chloe sang along to a song on the radio, surprising me, because it's the first thing she's said in an hour.

"Chloe," I looked at her. She looked back at me, expressionless.

"When are you going to want to talk about it?" I asked her.

"Never. I just wanna sing this song. It's my friends band."

"Your friend is on the radio?"

"Skip Matthews."

"I feel like the song kinda reflects the situation," I admitted.

"It's just a good song, Max. Don't overthink it." She replied, and I could tell that she was irritated.

"Chloe, so much fucked up shit has happened, and you just suppress it. One day it'll come back to bite you in the ass."

"I'll deal with it then."

"It's not healthy. You don't have to talk about it with me, but just somebody-anybody!"

Chloe slammed on her brakes and pulled over on the side of the road.

"You wanna fucking talk about it Max? My best friend came back from the dead, and is in trouble, but doesn't fucking want to see me." She shouted, her blue eyes glaring at me.

"She does want to see you, she just wants you to be safe Chloe. Rachel cares about you more than herself. She's putting your safety above her own." I replied with exasperation.

"I don't care! I'm never safe! Has she seen the fucking things I do? I couldn't give a rats ass about whether I live or die at this point!" She spat angrily, smacking her hands on the steering wheel.

"Chloe, don't talk like that. I went through all of that shit to save you so you would be here." I was getting mad at this point. I understand that she's upset, but I went to hell and back to save her ass, and that pissed me off.

To my surprise, Chloe leaned forward and pulled my face to hers, connecting our lips with a kiss. She kissed hungrily, and pulled me closer. Her lips tasted like what I'd imagine a cigarette to taste like, and the coconut chapstick she wears. It actually was kind of pleasant, but it wasn't right. I pulled back and looked at her in shock.

"What's wrong?" Chloe asked, a pissed off, concerned expression on her pale face.

"You weren't kissing me because you liked me, you were kissing me because you wished I was Rachel, because we're getting so close to finding her."

I was caught off guard by that kiss, I never expected Chloe to do anything like that.

Chloe looked confused for a second, and then sighed and buried her face in her hands.

"You're right. I'm sorry, Max. For kissing you, and yelling at you. I get that you were trying to help. I'm-I'm just so fucking confused and angry about everything." She apologized, and looked up from the steering wheel.

"I get it, Che." I said sympathetically.

"I'm sorry. You're a good friend, Max."

"You are too Chloe."

She pulled back on the road, and drove, only this time she wasn't angry, just exhausted.

After a while, we pulled up to the motel that Rachel was supposedly staying at. Chloe looked excited, yet worried at the same time.

"Chloe, it's going to be okay." I pulled her in for a side hug.

"What if she makes me leave? What if she's not here anymore, or won't talk to me?" Chloe asked shakily.

"Then I'll use my powers until we get it right," I smiled jokingly at her. She laughed.

"I forgot that my best friend is a cheater!"

"Rude!" I swatted her arm, we both exited the truck laughing, and walked to the main office.

An old man sat at the front desk with a glum expression on his old, wrinkled face, reading a newspaper. He wore gold rimmed glasses, and his white hair was combed neatly.

"Interested in a room?" He asked in a raspy voice and put down his paper.

"Interested in finding someone in one of these rooms. Is there anyone staying here named Rachel?" Said Chloe, stepping forward towards the man.

"Nope." He said gruffly, and readjusted his glasses.

"What about Dawn?" Chloe asked once again. He glanced at the guest list next him.

"Yep. Room 7." He said and pointed outside.

"Thank you sir." I said as Chloe dragged me outside.

"Where'd you get 'Dawn' from?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Rachel Dawn Amber. Her middle name." Said Chloe as we walked towards the motel room.

"Do you think it's her?" I asked.

"It has to be." She said, then knocked on the door. Nothing. Nobody answered.

"Rachel." Chloe said softly and knocked on the door once again. The curtain over the window was open slightly, and through it I saw Rachel sitting on a bed, looking at the door sadly.

"Chloe! Look!" I nudged her arm and pointed in the window. Chloe's eyes widened, and began to tear up.

"Rachel open the fucking door. It's too late to keep running." Chloe said and her voice broke. Rachel sat and thought for a minute, but she stood up and ran to the door and it flung open.

"Come inside quick," Rachel said.

x-x-x

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter! I wanted to do a chapter from Max's perspective, but I wanted to have the chapter where Rachel and Chloe reunite from one of their perspectives. New chapter coming soon! Thanks <3!