Chapter Three: Enigma

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

Chloe's P.O.V

I pulled into the junkyard and ran out of the truck, Max chasing after me. She had told me about the visions, about the one where Rachel crept into the shed and hid a note.

"Chloe, wait!" She called out after me, but my feet wouldn't stop running.

I ran into the shed and began throwing things around, searching for the letter.

"I need to find that fucking note!" I shouted and continued my messy search. Max stood in the doorway and looked at me with concern.

"Are you just going to fucking stand there, or help me?" She silently nodded and began searching for the letter, but not making nearly as much of a mess as I was.

After searching for an hour, we couldn't find anything. "Shit!" I yelled and and whipped an old beer bottle at the dart board in frustration. It toppled down onto the ground.

"Chloe, calm down. This is why I didn't want to tell you, because it might not even be true." Max tried to calm me, but I wasn't paying attention.
When the dart board fell off of the wall, a piece of paper fell from behind it. I walked over to it and picked it up.

Dear Chloe,
First off, I know this is going to be a shock. I'll explain everything in this letter, but I just want you to know that I miss you, and love you.
I am in Arcadia Bay, trying not to get noticed. I don't want everyone to know I'm still alive, just you. When I returned, I discovered that everyone thought that I was dead. To be honest, it's better that way.
I don't know anything about 'my death', just that it's not me.
I woke up in Seattle, and had no memories, just a vague image of your face in my brain. Eventually, it all came back to me.
At the Vortex Club party, I was drugged by Nathan Prescott. He took me to Mr. Jefferson, who took pictures of me. He had a bad temper, and hit me in the head a couple times. I must've got a concussion, or some type of amnesia. I woke up in a truck, wearing someone else's clothes, and Nathan was driving. He said that I was in trouble, and he was taking me somewhere that I could start a new life, and be safe. Over the months, my memory came back, and I returned.
The reason I haven't tried to contact you other than this letter is that I don't want it to be a huge shock, although it probably will be hella weird either way. You're rarely alone, and when you are it's in a public place.
Now that you know the truth, you'll probably come looking for me. DON'T.
Someone from our past is blackmailing me, and threatening me and you, and I'm not going to drag you into this. When I finish dealing with it, I promise I'll come see you. Don't tell anyone I'm here, especially my parents.
I miss you, C.
Love,
Rachel A.

The letter trembled in my hands. I read it over and over, unable to comprehend the words written.

"This is her handwriting Max...Rachel really is alive." I handed the letter to her. She read it, her eyes getting wider and wider.

"You're still going to search for her, aren't you?" Max asked knowingly.

"There's not a chance in hell that I wouldn't." I replied.

"Who on Earth would blackmail her? And whose body did we dig up?" Max questioned, still stunned by the letter.

"I don't fucking know, but we're going to find out."

"How are we going to do that?"

"By finding that little twerp, Prescott. To do that, we have to go see Mark Jefferson first." I balled my hands into fists, to try and contain my anger and stop me from hitting the things nearest to me.