Chapter Eleven: Merrick

Song(s) that inspired this chapter: Youth by Daughter

Chloe's P.O.V.

Rachel was fidgeting with her bracelet, clasping and unclasping it, and it was making an annoying clicking noise. I didn't know how much longer I could stand it.

"Can you fucking stop it?" I snapped at her as I took a sharp turn causing Max and Rachel to bump into each other. Rachel's hazel eyes widened with surprise and with the pursing of her lips, she stopped. Max gave me a glare and I sighed. I didn't actually mean it, I was just worried. Damon fucking stabbed Rachel and almost killed Frank and I. What if Max's rewind wasn't working like when Kate Marsh almost jumped off of Blackwell's roof? We had to go see him; well, Rachel had to see him, Max and I had to hide.

"Look, I'm sorry Rach, I'm just on edge." I apologized to Rachel and grabbed her hand in mine while keeping the other on the steering wheel.

"I know, otherwise I wouldn't have bit my tongue." Rachel teased and Max and I laughed along with her.

"Are you worried?" Max asked Rachel.

"No. You guys will be there to help if he does anything anyway." She replied with confidence.

"We'll park here," I said as I parallel parked in front of a tree. "And then we can separate and walk from here."

"Everything's gonna be fine." Rachel assured Max and I by placing a hand on each of our shoulders before walking off in the direction of the junkyard.

"We can hide in the shed and watch from the little window." Max said and grabbed my hand, dragging me towards the shed, but my eyes were glued on Rachel.

Max and I got in the shed and peeked through the window, to see Rachel leaning up against a car, waiting for Damon.

"Amber!" A gruff voice called out angrily. Rachel spun around to face Damon, but Max and I couldn't see him out of the window because he was still walking. He came into view, making my stomach twist into a sickening knot. Damon was wearing a tight maroon coloured tee, and old blue jeans. He looked different; his chestnut hair was longer and hung at his shoulders, and I could see fresh tattoos on his muscular arms. He ditched the beard and replaced it with stubble. I'm not going to lie, it was a smart move by him, considering he is a wanted criminal in Arcadia, and Frank thinks he's dead.

"Damon, looking like shit as always." Rachel said with snark. I loved Rachel, but in that moment I wanted to smack her. Last time she pushed Damon, he stabbed her. I didn't want a repeat of events.

"What is she doing?" I whispered to Max, whose eyes were as wide in surprise as mine.

"I don't know. Do you want me to rewind?" Max asked and placed her hand on my arm.

"No, not yet."

"I'd keep your mouth closed, considering your situation, and the fact that I'm already pissed off at you enough." Damon replied in his deep, gravelly voice.

"What do you want?" Rachel asked him and rolled her eyes.

"You know, I stopped by your motel earlier. You weren't there. The old man at the desk said you checked out." He stepped closer towards her.

"So?" Rachel stepped back and folded her arms across her chest defensively.

"So where did you go?" Damon raised an eyebrow and wore a mask of suspicion on his face.

"If I stayed there any longer, I might have gotten recognized." Rachel kept her chin raised, not giving in to Damon.

"No shit, where are you staying now?"

Max and I looked at each other with worry. Rachel was an amazing actress, but there was literally no other motels in town other than the one she had stayed in before.

Damon grabbed her arm roughly and raised his voice. "Answer me bitch."

"Chloe don't you even think about-" Max started but I had already ran out.

"Are you cereal? This is the fifth time!" I heard Max mumble under her breath but she followed behind me.

"Don't touch her!" I shouted and shoved Damon off of her. He landed on his ass, and his face was glowering with anger.

"What are you doing here?" He growled angrily and stood up. "You've been staying with her, haven't you?" Damon asked Rachel, who was grasping Max's arm tightly.

"Yes, she has. And it's staying that way." I stood in front and Max and Rachel protectively.

"You fucking bitches ruin everything!" Damon spat at the ground and glare at us scarily.

"Look, we'll 'run your errand', or whatever the fuck you wanted Rachel to do one last time, but that's it." I folded my arms across my chest and did my best to look menacing. "Nobody will believe you if you tell anyone anyways, plus you're a criminal, and if James Amber got his hands on you...let's just say he's holding a grudge from our last encounter."

Damon looked furious. His face was red and his eyes were wild with anger. "You're nosy, and I don't like that. You can't leave things alone, can you?" Damon cocked his head to the side and gazed at all of us in thought; it was unsettling to say the least.

"There's another one." Damon raised his arm and pointed a finger at Max. "Who the hell is she?"

Max looked frightened. "She's our friend, and you don't need to know anything else." Rachel stepped beside me, and held eye contact with Damon for a few uncomfortable seconds.

"I need you to run and pick a package up for me. It's from a client of mine, and there's a lot of money in it. Don't open it, don't do anything to it, just bring it to me within the next three days. I'll text Amber the details." He said, alarmingly calm, enough to unsettle us for what seemed to be the hundredth time from this encounter.

Without another word, Damon walked off, the heels of his worn leather boots making a 'clunking' sound on the ground as he left.

"Now I see why you guys are scared of him." Max shuddered.

"Yeah, he's a real piece of shit." Rachel sighed. "And you-" she pointed at me. "You should've stayed hidden. What if he had hurt you?"

I shrugged. "Max would've rewound."

"I had to rewind five times to get a non-violent outcome." Max admitted.

"Fine, next time I promise I'll be more careful." I groaned with annoyance.

Rachel's phone dinged. She pulled it out of her pocket. "It's Damon. He says the package is at some place in Harwood."

"Harwood? That's five hours away!" I exclaimed angrily.

"It's fine. We're not getting the package." Rachel shoved her phone back in her pocket.

"Then what are we doing?" Max asked, puzzled.

"We're going to see Nathan, now. We get him to use his money to hire someone to get Damon off of our backs." Explained Rachel.

"Are you sure? I think we should play it safe." Max worried.

"I kinda agree with Max." I admitted and shoved my hands in the pocket of my jeans.

"No. I'm sick of being ordered around. Get in the truck, we're going to see Nathan." Rachel said firmly and began walking towards the truck. She was a force to reckoned with.

Max and I shared a look, then we followed after her.