CHAPTER 5

-The Scorch-

The look on the boy's faces was pure relief as they caught eye of Violet. They all ran past the door, since it was automatic it began to close but Thomas was still distracted. Janson with two guards, Violet stepped forward Janson and both guards turned to her causing Thomas to get to escape. As he began running to the group Violet made eye contact with one of the guards then the other. She compelled the guards to shoot each other when they did Janson laughed.

Just then Thomas slipped under the door just before it was closing. Violet turned around to be met with the eyes of all the boys. "What are you guys waiting for let's go" she spoke looking around, there was a new girl that joined them.

"Who are you?" one of the boys asked, "ok well no time for introductions we need to go" as if on cue Janson began beating on the door. Thomas ran to a large lever to open the door, "you can't go out there if the scorch doesn't kill you the cranks will, or worse Subject X1 will" he finished with a sick laugh.

"It's now or never" Violet spoke as the doors fully opened. She walked forward next to Aris taking his hand in hers. He looked down and smiled at her, she returned the smile before turning back to the door.

From afar Thomas and his group watched the two together, it looked like they were dating but they were far from it.

Aris took a scarf he had in his back pack he was carrying and wrapped it around Violet. "I'm not a little kid Aris" she spoke laughing. "C'mon we gotta go" Violet called as she and Aris entered the scorch.

Immediately they were hit with sand and heat, Violet slid the scarf higher covering more of her nose tying it tighter.

At that point they knew that they all now had a target on there back and there was nothing they could do but run.

 They'd been walking for a couple hours the sand storm had stopped by now and it was slowly becoming night, the sun was falling slowly from the sky

They'd been walking for a couple hours the sand storm had stopped by now and it was slowly becoming night, the sun was falling slowly from the sky. The thing about this desert was it was burning hot in the day and freezing cold at night.

Once the moon had fully come out it was freezing out, Violet wasn't as cold as everyone else but she didn't know that her body didn't react to major temperature change due to her powers. "Hey i think we should take a break get some rest we'll walk early tomorrow" Thomas said as he put his things down, he was carrying a bag of food and water. Everyone else followed finding a spot on the floor. At this point everyone was shivering due to the cold, Violet came up with an idea. She got up walking to her bag, she brought wooden stakes to use as weapons but maybe she could make a fire.

"What are you doing?" Aris questioned shivering as she went through his bag, when she found the stakes she brought them in the middle of everyone else. Everyone else looked at her curiously whispering among each other.

After setting the stakes standing against each other she turned to the others walking in a circle, "ok don't freak out alright, i was an experiments too i know what it feels like" she said before stopping and turning to the stakes. She shot a small energy ball that glowed red at the stakes, at an instant they glowed orange lighting up with fire. She turned back around to see some of them shocked some of them impressed if that's what that was.

"Okay how about those introductions" i said with a humorless chuckle trying to lighten the mood. "Okay i guess ill start" i said looking around, "my name is Violet, im 17, i've been in WICKED since i remember...literally" i stopped looking around. "Ok now to what you guys really want to know, look i can't even explain how but i got the flare when it first hit and WICKED rescued me, or so ive been told" i paused looking down. "I can move things and um- control things like..people" she hesitated telling them this because that basically brought there trust on me down to 0.

"I have this" she said taking out the two rings, "i gave one to Aris they make it so i cant control your mind you can take them" Thomas looked around before looking up at me getting up and walking towards me. He looked at them before taking them, "you can give them to whoever, and i promise i won't hurt you guys- WICKED has taken a lot from me and i want to bring them down too" she said looking around. Voilet saw Aris still shaking due to his thin sweater, she smiled before walking over to him and wrapping her arms around him. With her body heat it kept him warm, Violet would never see a romantic relationship with Aris and he knew this. If anything Violet thought of him as family, she had this feeling like she had to protect them, and she swore she would no matter the cost.