CHAPTER 9

We had been walking for a while, me and Aris fell behind and now we were walking alongside Thomas and Newt. I noticed both of them were basically the leaders of the group, they always made the big decisions. We were now approaching the smaller dunes, they were small compared to others but they were still big.

When we got closer we began climbing, it was hard since evertime you stepped the sand collapsed so you had to be very careful. We were close to the top when i heard someone collapse, i turned around quickly. Winston had tripped and was about to fall down. I quickly helped him to his feet as a shield of red energy covered him. I quickly ran to him, i kneeled next to his head as his chest quickly rose and fell. He looked sick, and was heaving. "Winston!" the group called walking over. "Hey are you ok?" i asked "i'm going to check you for a bite ok?" i warned before looking around his arms. There was nothing, i slowly lifted his shirt looking around his lower stomach before fully lifting his shirt.

There it was, the purple blue bite covered in dark veins "shit" i breathed slowly bringing down my finger to touch it. I brought my two fingers up rubbing the blue blood between them. It was still very runny and had a small tint of red "if we hurry he could make it" i said looking up at the group of boys. "no" Winston muttered, "what why we could save you" i said turning back to him. "no i don't want to turn into them" he paused looking up to me "please" he said heaving. I felt my eyes water, "Aris your bag" i called without looking up. Aris walked dropping the bag next to me, i opened it looking through it. I found the small dagger i had given Aris and took it out, "woah what are you doing with that" Thomas asked frantically. "Calm down this might help him" i turned back to Winston before stabbing it on my palm and dragging it down. A small streak of red quickly appeared "here" i said bringing it up to Winstons mouth.

I knew it would help him but only for a little, for all we know my bloods not the same and it could be poisen. Winston quickly caught on drinking it, i pulled it away wiping it softly on my pants "cmon we have to get moving" i called to the group. Frypan came picking one of his arms throwing it over his shoulder along with another kid. I got up putting the dagger back in Aris' bag. I walked over to him handing it to him, i walked alongside him in front of the group again. "How do you know that's going to help?" he asked turning to me "i don't we can only hope" i said turning to him with a sad smile. I turned back to the front, "i hate having feelings, that's the one thing i liked about being in that stupid room" i turned back to Aris who was looking forward listening. "I never felt love, nor remorse, more guilt. It's different now" i said turning back to the front.

 We had been walking for a while now, i was tired but i wasn't going to stop

We had been walking for a while now, i was tired but i wasn't going to stop. We were all alarmed when frypan screamed "no!" we turned around to see Winston on the floor a gun laying next to him. "What happened" Thomas asked, "he grabbed my gun tried to shoot himself" he responded looking down at Winston. He started coughing up blood, "shit" i muttered while walking over to him and kneeling down. "What is it" Newt asked, "his body, it's rejecting the blood" i said as i helped Winston turn over to finish coughing up more of the blood. He turned laying back down, "please" muttered before coughing again. I frowned, there was nothing we could do we were still far away we wouldn't be able to help him. Newt frowned walking over and picking up the gun, he walked over and crouched next to me. Newt took Winstons left hand and put the gun in it laying it on his chest, he took his right hand which i hadn't realized i was holding and put it over his left. He said a small goodbye and patted him on his shoulder, "i know i just met you but i'm sorry" i whispered. He smiled "take care Violet, take care of them please" he said with a sad smile.

I gave him a small smile before Newt wrapped his arm around my shoulder and helped me up before turning me around and walking, the boys following behind. I felt bad for Winston, i know i just met him but he deserved to be happy after being all that time in the Maze. He deserved to live a happy life, poor Winston. I felt even worse for his friends who knew him longer and will miss him.

We had been walking for a bit when we heard the gunshot ring. We all stopped walking, i was paralyzed i couldn't move. We all just waited a moment, before Newt pulled me softly to begin walking again. Everyone else followed, slowly we all began walking again.