CHAPTER 8

-Campfires-

We had began walking a while ago, even though there weren't sandstorms every time the wind blew it'd get in our eyes despite the bandana. We were nearing more debris, it looked like run down buildings. "Keep your eyes opened for cranks" i called looking around. There were smaller parts of buildings the size of rooms all scattered.

Thomas and Minho were standing talking about something i couldn't hear. "We should camp out here it's getting late, hey do we even know where we're going?" i asked looking around for things to make a campfire. "For right now, we're just getting as far away from here as possible" i just nodded looking around. I found some would from the structure of the building, there was also what looked to be wooden chairs and tables. I picked up a chair bringing it out to in front of the building. I ripped one of the legs off using as much force throwing it in front of me before ripping the other three.

I went back towards the debris, picking up another chair bringing it over breaking it before throwing it into the pit. I took a deep breath before lighting it up with a small ball of energy it went up in flames. By this time the moon was high up in the sky and people were spread around the camp fire talking. I didn't have anyone to talk to so i just sat on top of a boulder of concrete looking at the fire.

"Drink?" i turned to my right to see the blonde sitting holding out a cup "thanks" i said taking the cup taking a sip. "So how are you doing? i haven't gotten a chance to say thank you for saving me...twice" i laughed. "Yeah well..." i paused taking another drink. "How are you feeling, i was kind of worried when you kind of y'know dropped" i laughed again. "Yeah i'm just not used to doing anything than moving a couple wooden blocks around" i ended with a small laugh. "So is that how you used to train?" he asked, "no" i laughed "no that's what i did for fun, they would do stuff to harm me see how long i lived. That and taking so much blood id faint"

"How old were you?"

"I honestly don't remember maybe 7, 8. They made me believe they saved me, i still get small bits of memories back and there's one in particular i remember. I was being dragged away from my parents i was coughing up blood until they injected me and i blacked out" i scoffed, "they told me they found me wandering the streets, what a load of shit" i said finishing the water in the cup and handing it to Newt. I got up "i'm going to go sleep, i suggest you do too long day tomorrow" i said before walking towards Aris. He was sitting around a group of boys talking, as i approached him he turned his head up to look at me. When he saw me he got up walking up to me, "hey what's wrong?" he asked. "Nothing just reliving old memories, i'm going to sleep" i said smiling. "Goodnight" i said giving him a small hug, "goodnight" he responded.

I went to the small run down building, it had a lot of dust and rubble but it was better than being in that old white room. I took off my jacket using it as a pillow and laying down. It was a cold night as always, the breeze blew in through the broken door and holes in the building. Honestly i probably should've checked if this building is even safe to be in, oh well. I closed my eyes trying to catch some sleep, even with the noise of the wind whistling it wasn't hard.

 I closed my eyes trying to catch some sleep, even with the noise of the wind whistling it wasn't hard

-Traveling-

I woke up to talking, i sighed knowing i had to get up. I turned trying to go back to sleep, "i know your awake, you might as well hoping the meeting"  Aris said. I hummed before slowly opening my eyes, i took my time sitting up and stretching. When i opened my eyes the whole group of boys were looking at me, "what?" i went back to getting up when they all turned there heads back at the same time. I put my hoodie over my under shirt then the flannel, after i got up brushing my hair with my fingers. My hair hardly got tangled since it wasn't the thickest, i tied it into a low pony tail with my bandana before walking over to the boys. They were all staring at me "what have you guys never seen a girl?" i asked, then it struck me. They really haven't they've lived in a maze with all guys till Theresa, and me and her are completely different.

I laughed "holy shit you guys haven't seen other girls other than Theresa" i laughed again making my way next to Aris who was across from Thomas. "So where are we going" i asked looking around at them. "What's the plan?" Newt asked, when Thomas didn't answer he got worried, "you do have a plan right?" he looked at him "we followed you out here and now your telling us you have no plan" he said frustrated. "The mountains, there's people there that can lead us to the right arm" Thomas spoke. I looked up to him laughing, "what?" he asked confused. Newt beat me to asking him "people? In the mountains? Mountain people?" i laughed a small giggle just at the thought of the idea. There might be people in all honesty but us making it there was a 60% chance. "It's the only plan we've got" i sighed. "Technically yes, i mean do we have another idea?" i asked looking around.

"Great so when are we moving?" i asked, "as soon as possible, after everyone's ready today" Thomas responded to which i simply nodded. I made my way outside to where Aris' bag was alongside the ashes of the bonfire from last night. I picked up his bag taking out a water bottle and taking a sip, i wasn't hungry so i just sat there drinking the water before putting it away. "Hey you alright?" i hadn't realized i was zoned out "yeah i'm alright" i responded. "Hey i'm sorry about yesterday i didn't mean to upset you" he said "no it's alright i'm just glad to finally be out" i ended with a small laugh. I turned to face him and he was already looking at me with a goofy smile. "I like your laugh" he said slowly as we maintained eye contact, it's as if both of us were in a trance and couldn't look away. Something about Newt was different from the other boys, from what i've seen he cares about all his friends. He takes care of them before himself, i like that he's like me.

"You guys ready to head out" Minho's voice broke our trance. We both turned to look at him "sorry am i interrupting?" he asked though i think he knew he was. I looked down as i felt my face get hot "no, what's up?" Newt asked, he shamed way more composed than me. "We're leaving now" he said before walking away, Newt turned to me he opened his mouth to say something but i beat him to it "we should go" with that i stood up and walked back to where i was sleeping with Aris' bag in one hand.

I walked into Aris looking up relieved it was him, "what's wrong why is your face red" he asked touching my forehead with the back of his hand. "Nothing i just- i think i had a...moment...with Newt it was weird" i said handing him his bag to put on. He put it on as we turned making our way out "do you want to talk about it?" he asked as we walked towards the group. "I don't know i just felt weird like flustered...i think somethings wrong with me" i said looking down at my palms. Aris laughed as we walked in front of the group and began heading towards some dunes far that were far away. "I think, you have a crush" he said with a smirk. "What? No that's silly, i can't. I can't like someone" i said shaking my head. "I'm just saying, let me guess. You feel your heart race you can't speak all of a sudden you get shy and your palms get sweaty and any time he compliments you you get flustered and red?"

I looked at him confused "how-" "you like him Violet it's normal to get crushes" he said "yeah but how come i haven't felt this when i was at WICKED?" i asked feeling nervous. "Well Newts different besides all the boys at WICKED were practically scared of you" he said with a laugh. I laughed remembering the time when i used to train with other subjects, that was when i first got cured. From the beginning i was always stronger than the others and had fast reflexes. I beat up three kids before they let me train on my own and that was before i got my powers.