𝟏𝟗𝟓𝟎- 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬

1646 words

Set in the 1950s... (duh)

The bell above the door rung out loudly as it was slammed open. A girl with red hair marched into the room. The tall blonde behind the counter glanced up tiredly at her, leaning his arms on the bench. He gave her a small smile.

"Good morning," he said quietly. "What can I get you?"

The girls eyes ran over his arms and face quickly. She smiled sweetly at him. "A small latte please. And a slice of you if that's available."

Newt just smiled kindly at her and set to work. His workmate, Jorge, already started brewing the drink. The blonde turned back to the girl. "Here or to go?"

"To go please."

He pulled out a cup and grabbed the drink from Jorge. He started pouring her drink, staring intently at it, avoiding her gaze.

"I love your hair."

Newt glanced up at the girl. The red head had her bottom lip between her teeth, twisting a strand of her bright hair between two fingers. He gave her a small, awkward smile.

"Thank you. I love your colour. Natural?"

The girl nodded eagerly, apparently delighted that he'd noticed. He gave her another smile before turning his gaze to the drink he was making.

"So..." the girl said, leaning both arms on the counter. "Are you doing anything later?"

Newt bit the inside of his cheek and finished her drink. He placed it in front of her and took the money in her outstretched hand. He found her change and placed the coins in her palm.

She raised a sharp eyebrow. "Well?"

"Sorry," he said with a soft smile. "But I'm unavailable for the foreseeable future."

The girl frowned and sighed rather dramatically. "Well I'm sorry to hear that. She's one lucky girl."

Newt just nodded.

"But..."

The girl quickly scribbled something on a small scrap of paper from her purse. She took Newt's hand in hers and placed the paper in his palm, folding his fingers over it.

"If you ever get bored of her," she shot him a quick smile. "Call me."

He gave her a short nod and handed her the drink. She sent him a winning smile before turning on her heal and sashaying out of the shop, swaying her hips. A little over the top Newt thought to himself. The blonde glanced around the room. There were a couple of people still sitting at the tables, but other than that the shop was empty.

Newt went into the back room. "Hey Harriet!"

He found the brunette in the corner of the room, sorting through different bags of coffee. She glanced up at her name. "Yeah?"

"It's pretty dead out there. I'm gonna go take my break okay?"

She nodded, standing and fixing her skirt and apron.  "Alright. Just be back before two. And no funny business with that mystery lady of yours. Last time you went to see her you can back an hour after you'd promised."

Newt blushed slightly and nodded. "I promise to be back before two."

Harriet smirked, hands on her hips. "Yeah, I've heard that before."

The blonde shot her a cheeky smile and made his way to the back door. He threw his silly little cap on the box next to the door, before slipping out and closing it behind him. He took a deep breath of the cold air and let out a sigh.