𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐢 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐦- 𝐣𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐫

1499 words

Newt's eyes were on the brunet the second he walked through the front door. Teresa held on to him, smiling like the luckiest person in the world. Which she was. Minho stood to greet them. Newt sighed and stood slowly, going to get a refill.

He passed Brenda on his way to the kitchen. She reached out and touched Newt's arm, stopping him.

"Aren't you gonna say hi to them?" she asked with a small, sad smile. Almost like she knew.

Newt nodded. "I'm just gonna get a drink first."

He filled his cup with ice as he heard more people arrive. Minho had said it was a small party. Just some close friends. Newt prayed silently that his friend hadn't lied. There was no way in hell that he could go out and put on an act for forty odd people. Newt walked slowly back to the living room, watching as a few more people came through the front door.

Thomas was sitting on the couch where newt had been before he left, with Teresa sitting by his side, her legs tucked underneath her.

Newt cleared his throat quietly and walked back into the room, sitting beside them. Thomas greeted the blonde with a heart warming smile. "Hey Newt."

He smiled at him. "Hey Tommy."

The house did indeed fill with more people than Newt had expected. Every seat was soon occupied. People turned anything they could into a place to sit. The ground, the back of the couch, the stairs even. The room was full to the brim with people dancing and talking.

Newt stayed in a corner, only leaving to get another drink. He watched Thomas and Teresa. The blonde noticed how Thomas tried to pry himself from her grip, each time failing, although he didn't look too disappointed to be stuck with her. They moved around the room, hand in hand, dancing and talking. He kissed her on the cheek a few times.

Teresa excused herself for a moment, kissing Thomas on the cheek once more before leaving to head upstairs. Thomas's wandering eyes found Newt, sitting in the corner, and he smiled, walking over to him.

Thomas sat heavily in the chair beside him. "Enjoying ourselves are we?" Newt asked half-heartedly, taking another sip of his drink. Thomas eyed the drink. "How many of those have you had there Newt?"

The blonde rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair. "A few. But there's no booze in this one." Thomas nodded slowly, a smile creeping into his features. "So you obviously didn't see Gally pour half a bottle of vodka into the punch bowl?"

Newt groaned. "Shit." Thomas laughed, a sweet, musical sound. "I've spent the night keeping Teresa away from the punch for a reason."

Newt swallowed thickly as Thomas mentioned his girlfriend. "I'm gonna go upstairs," he murmured quickly. Newt heard Thomas stand up behind him, possibly going to follow him, but at that moment Teresa brushed past Newt, heading to her boyfriend.

"Hang on a sec babe," Newt heard Thomas mutter. "Aw come dance with me Tom!" Newt rolled his eyes at the nickname. Tom. "Yeah in a minute Teresa."

Newt made his way upstairs quickly. He closed the door behind him as he stepped into the spare bedroom. Newt closed his eyes and breathed out slowly. He glanced down at his drink. Of course He'd have to get drunk on a night like this.

The blonde put the cup down on the bedside table and sat on the edge of the mattress, holding his head in his hands. Newt didn't notice Thomas come in until he felt a hand on his back.

"Too much to drink?" Thomas asked with a hint of a smile in his voice. He slowly rubbed circles into Newt's back. The blonde shook his head. Thomas frowned and tilted his head, putting his face in front of Newt's. "What's wrong Newt?"