𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐜𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐧- 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐞

1954 words

Thomas watched in fear as the fires ate away buildings. The night was alive with screams of pain and terror, the loud and consistent noise of firing guns and running feet on the ground.

He was terrified to put it lightly.

Thomas tightened his grip around Newt's waist. Even with all the screaming people running into them without a care, he refused to let go of the crank.

Newt coughed a horrible, choking sound as black saliva dribbled from his lips, down his chin.

"You're okay," Thomas whispered to him. "You're gonna be okay."

He didn't know if he was reassuring Newt or himself.

Thomas licked his lips, tasting the salt of his sweat and turned his head sharply. He could barely hear over the noise of the civilians running. Minho was looking around fruitlessly, searching for something he couldn't find.

Thomas reached out and gripped Minho's arm.

"Hey. Hey Minho, look at me."

The buff boy turned his head sharply to look at Thomas, his eyes wild and wide with fear.

"You have to go," Thomas said sternly, forcing to keep his voice steady. "You have to get back to the berg now. Go with Brenda. She's getting the serum."

"No I'm not leaving you guys."

Unlike Thomas who tried so carefully to keep his voice strong, Minho's words were broken as they came from his mouth.

Thomas moved his hand to grasp Minho's shoulder tightly. "Minho go."

Thomas could see in the boy's eyes that he was torn. He could stay with his friends, one who's sanity was leaving his body at a steady pace, or he could run back to the berg and be safe.

"Please, Minho," Thomas whispered shakily, finally letting the façade drop and letting emotion creep into his voice. "Go back to the berg. I need to know you'll be safe."

Minho started hard into Thomas' eyes before letting his head drop. He nodded once.

Thomas patted his shoulder roughly. "Now get out of here."

Minho nodded again and lifted his head. He didn't turn and run as Thomas had expected. Instead he turned and put his hand on Newt's shoulder.

"Hang on you annoying shank," he said in a choked voice. "You hang on and I'll see you back at the berg, okay?"

Newt gave a weak nod and smiled gently at Minho. It was a sad smile that almost said, you know that's bullshit.

Minho patted his shoulder and looked back to Thomas for a second before he turned around and started running back to the berg.

Thomas felt Newt's dead weight in his arms, almost as if he was heavier now. He felt like the world was falling apart around him.

He shook Newt slightly in his arms. "Come on Newt, we gotta go."

The blond made a slight strangled noise but started moving all the same. Thomas lead him the same way the crown had run. Newt seemed to get slower with each step, his body spasming at random. Thomas was slapped a few times and caught an elbow to the face as they went.

Thomas felt better when he realised they were getting close.

"We're almost there Newt," he whispered. "You're gonna be okay."

And that's when Newt's body started shaking.

A gurgling noise slowly built up in Newt's chest and he began to fall, unable to hold himself up anymore.